Recommended Wine Books

I need to spruce up my wine library. I have most of the classic essentials, but I was curious if there was any new wine literature (something published in the last couple of years) that you guys really enjoyed. I am mainly interested in Burgundy, but when it comes to wine I am an equal opportunist and would gladly read about any region. During these isolated times, I find myself reading more than ever.

Thanks in advance!

Here are a couple I have bought and read recently that I enjoyed:

The Original Grands Crus of Burgundy: This is for burgundy nerds. It goes through the history of the grand crus and essentially consolidates historical writings (that are often only available in French) like the writings of Dr. Lavalle, Rodier and Julien.
Big Macs and Burgundy - Fun, light book that I quite enjoyed reading. I think her approach to explaining pairing is excellent.
Vignette: Stories Of Life And Wine In 100 Bottles by Jane Lopes: Her story is very interesting and she is an excellent writer. I enjoyed the different structure of this book and actually read it almost all in one sitting I was so drawn in.

Jane Anson’s new Bordeaux book is a great reference book for the region. Harold McGee’s Nose Dive is a another fantastic read into the world of aromas. And while it hasn’t been released in the US yet, I’m eagerly awaiting the Noble Rot book due in March

1 Like

I like The Story of Wine (Johnson) Rhone Renaissance (Norman) and Native Grapes of Italy (d’Agata)

These have all just been released recently. To be fair, there are several re-releases of older books and also some good collections of different writings (such as “On Bordeaux”) but it’s a great group of books.

https://academieduvinlibrary.com/shop/

What’s the Noble Rot book?

If case you’re not familiar with it, there’s a UK-based print wine magazine called Noble Rot, done by the owners of the London-based wine bar and restaurant with the same name. Late last year they announced they would be publishing a book as well. It’s currently out in the UK, and I believe Europe, but due to COVID it’s yet to hit stateside

I know a couple copies have hit Canada!

I know you mentioned burgundy, but if you are into Champagne at all, Peter Liem’s book on Champagne is incredible. Highly recommended.

I adore Jamie Goode’s books and can recommend any of them. I have read:

‘The Science of Wine’ - This one is probably my favorite for a lot of reasons. It reads casual at times, but gets super technical at others and has lots of cool insight

‘Flawless’ - This one delves into each of a dozen or better of the most common faults in wines, including a few that I didn’t really know anything about.

I am currently reading:

‘I Taste Red’ - This is the science of tasting wine, whereas the other is the science of making wine (with a dabble into our experience with it)

I am also reading Terry Thiese ‘What Makes a Wine Worth Drinking’ - He uses a lot of purple prose and doesn’t hesitate to get really metaphysical about the whole thing. He also isn’t afraid to stand tall on his sometimes controversial opinions (esp about what makes wine ‘authentic’ or worthy of praise). Still an enjoyable Sat morning kind of read.

I am reading two books now. One is Charles Curtis’ book on Champagne. Highly recommended, very complete with notes going back to the end of the nineteenth century. I should mention I have known Charles for years, and he knows and loves Champagne. He also has some pretty good credentials as a Master of Wine and headed wine departments at Christie’s.

The second book is rather more obscure. It is also far more dense, but it has proved to be very rewarding. “The Politics of Wine in Britain.” If you really want to know how we arrived at the blue chip wines of today. Read this book. It is not just about making better wines, but duties, wars, alliances, technology, and even politbparties boycotting one country’s wines to make a point.

Highly recommend “Postmodern Winemaking” by Clark Smith. You probably won’t agree with all of it but it really rewrote how I thought about winemaking.

Deleted.

Thanks all - these are all really great recommendations. Noble Rot was not in my radar but now I will have to reach out to colleagues in the UK to get me a copy!

I’ll second “inside bordeaux” by Jane Anson; simply fantastic. I’ve enjoyed “Bordeaux Legends” by Jane also. One of Parker’s last books, “the worlds greatest wine estates” is pretty good too. “The fast of Wine” by Peynaud (Le goĂ»t du vin) should be in every wine library as well!

The World of Fine Wine is pretty amazing as far as periodicals go.

Thanks for the reminder! This has been on my list for awhile.

Sommelier’s Atlas of Taste is my current favorite. A really great reference for the major regions of Europe.

And now for something completely different:

For a relaxed fun non-fiction take, I read the three Peter Stafford-Bow books during the lockdowns of 2020 and thought that was a fun and enjoyable way to pass the time with a glass: Corkscrew, Brut Force, and Firing Blancs.

1 Like

Another great reminder. Just purchased it! I just finished The Widow Clicquot: The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It
and thought it was a lot of fun.

Bursting Bubbles is another great champagne book, and a fun read