What dessert wine did you drink tonight?

Figured I would try to get another chain going but with dessert wines specifically.

2 Likes

2017 Abbazia di Novacella Moscato Rosa Praepositus

Opened over the weekend, but enjoying the heck out of it on tonight’s pour.
quite interesting. Pretty dark, yet heavy citrus flavors. Still quite tannic too.

Give me time. I’ll join you.

1 Like

I so rarely drink these, but enjoy them whenever I do.

Recently a 2007 Mark and Spenser VP. A friend gave it to me when we meet in Portugal a couple years ago (he lives in the UK). Made by TFP, I’m quite sure this is a relabeled Romariz VP based on new label and cork. An early maturing Vintage Port that was quite tasty and enjoyable.

I am happy to see this thread!

1 Like

2010 Chateau de Rayne Vigneau, Sauternes

Not a dessert wine, but I had it after dinner. (And before dinner too, if I’m honest [wow.gif] )
1988 Barbeito Sercial Manuel Eugenio Fernandes

2005 Coutet Sauternes. Seems to be lasting. Glass 2 after three days in the fridge was still very nice.

2011 Qupé Sawyer Lindquist Vineyard Marsanne Doux Got several of these on the cheap from Winebid. Perfect for a weekday sticky and they last fine for a week.

1 Like

I buy dessert wines and love them but I hardly drink them lol. Mostly vintage port and sauternes.

We made two dessert wines, V. Sweet Melodies 100% Viognier that we arrest the fermentation and ultra filtrate and cold stabilization. Pops in at about 11-12%. It’s very pretty. The other, our Don Miguel named after Juan’s father is very, very pretty. It is a late harvest maybe a week-10 days post harvest, 50/50 Merlot and Cab Sauv. That we age for 2-3 years. It comes in at about 34 Brix, RS ~ 60 GM/liter. Gregory dal Piaz wrote this note a couple of years ago about Don Miguel when he wrote about Veleta. Dominio Buenavista - Veleta Wines - Simply Better Wines

This Is unusual. It smells like a red wine, powerfully fruity but with a strong, if integrated, oak element lending spice to the jammy black currant, prune, and blackberry aromas of the nose, it smells a little like Napa Cabernet. In the mouth this is obviously note Napa Cabernet. It’s mildly sweet within the dessert wine spectrum, high acid, fresh, and complex. There’s an underlying truffly, nutty element lending this real complexity that is layered with peppery spice, dark, candied, but not sticky fruit, baking spices and leather and dried tobacco nuances. The finish is terrific as the wine sheds most of its sweetness and reveals a more intense core of earthy, spicy, and candied fruit flavors that are fresh and vivid through the long finish. This is really not very sweet, which makes it ideally sweet for my palate. Break out the cheese board, or dried cakes and cookies to pair with this. Perhaps not the greatest dessert wine on the market today, though this is one of the most food friendly and flexible examples of dessert wines I’ve yet to come across.91pts

Both of these were offered on BD12 as Stickies and they’re also in the Veleta Sampler pack.

2 Likes

Not opened yet but I think tonight I will open a 2011 Oremus Tokaji Aszu 3 Puttonyos. First time tryin Oremus so looking forward to it

Barolo Chinato Cocchi. Hard to find for me at times, but it is a unique dessert wine that I have come to love.

3 Likes

Sounds like you should start drinking more of them. I often turn to splits of the more affordable Sauternes. Sort of my everyday drinkers of desert wines. All of these below I bought for $17 or less. Great qpr

Lafaurie-Peyraguey
Raymond-Lafon
Petit-Vedrines
Lieutenant de Sigalas
Sichel

When comparing Petit-Vedrines for $15 or Doisy Vedrines for $21, I always pick the grand vin. Sauternes more than almost any other wine is all about the berry selection.

Had 2 different dessert wines tonight.

Opened a 2009 KarlsmĂŒhle Lorenzhöfer GKA - lovely if not as complex as one would hope for in GKA, but hard to complain when you get it for 20 bucks!

After two weeks, finished a 375 of 2001 Suduiraut. As Ashish noted in the other thread, perhaps one of the best Sauternes produced in the last 25 years! I haven’t had the chance to follow ‘01 Rieussec and Climens over the course of several days, but I’d say that at this point Suduiraut is the clear best of the three “super seconds” of Sauternes. Haven’t tried a Yquem yet and will wait until 2026 before popping one of my own (maybe someone will share one with me before then lol).

fair, but I buy both [cheers.gif]

Enjoy it because they won’t be making those any more! Oremus has good vineyards and good wine making.

1 Like

I opened a Cappellano Chinato last night. Lovely after-dinner sipper and one of my newfound favorites.

2 Likes