Di Costanzo 18’s drop Tuesday

Di Costanzo wines was one of two new favorites discovered on this site (William & Mary the other). Great wines and awesome team of Erin and Massimo. After having DiCo last night, I’m excited to try these as well.

Cheers! [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

1 Like

unless you participated in BD12, in which case they dropped on the 27th of Jan :smiley:

Yup, I sprang for a mixed 6-pack. Excited to try a DiCo, to get a sense of the house style.

Looking forward to the release- especially that Farella! :raised_hands:

Funny, mine ship on Tuesday that I bought on BDay

Pro tip: Go long on the Montecillo. Trust me.
BC143E98-2642-41EC-A0F2-7A1F706858C5.jpeg
3976DF60-265B-4B73-A77C-916241581FD5.jpeg

1 Like

Brian, out of curiosity, did you drink the Montecillo as a pop and pour? I opened a bottle of the 18 Caldwell last night and found it extremely tannic and closed up. I am saving the second half of the bottle for tonight and hopefully it will improve. Thanks.

I think these, particularly when young, need a ton of air. Every one I’ve had, including the ‘17 and ‘18 Di Co, was better on day two.

1 Like

I opened it 6am Sunday morning, poured a glass covered the glass with a paper napkin and let the opened bottle sit out on the counter all day. I didn’t drink any until we sat down to eat dinner around 6pm. I poured three glasses while I watched some TV in the evening. Over 1/2 a bottle left today. Haven’t touched that yet and will probably hit it up Tuesday evening. Last night it was fantastic albeit a bit young on the tannins. Perfect balance of fruit, acidity and tannins, velvety texture, a real joy to drink. Bodes well for it’s future with no one aspect overpowering another.

1 Like

Thanks for feeling the fun everyone, we are really eager to get these wines shared with the world. We couldn’t love them more. I agree with Owen and with Brian, giving these wines a full yoga class in that decanter (or even an uncorked bottle) to let them stretch out is key. These days, the 2014s and 2015s are really singing, and these current 2018 wines are IMHO worth a check in, perhaps even via something like Brian’s day long method. The last few bottles of the 2018s we’ve had, we’ve enjoyed over at least 2-3 days, and the last glass is always the best. Thanks all!

And we’re live. Order in.

@R@f@el:
I would really give the wines other than Di Co a few years as a minimum. Yes they can be enjoyed vintage dependent on plenty of air but they are really built for the cellar and so good a few years after release.

Understood. Thanks, Fred!

Anyone have recent experience with the 2016 Farella, which is for sale down the street?

This is an easy annual buy for me. I tend to approach them like they’re left-bank classified growths - a lot of air or a lot of age. I had a 2017 Di Co a couple of months ago that was still fantastic on day FIVE! No recent expeience with the 2016 Farella but I see the notes on CT are positive.

1 Like

Stunning wine and my favorite so far though I have not tasted 18 yet. I’d grab it for sure.

1 Like

Man, if you poured one glass in the morning, and then three glasses while you were watching TV in the evening, your pours must be tiny compared to mine!..If I poured four glasses of wine, there wouldn’t be half a bottle left over. More like 1/5 of the bottle would be left…

Scroll up for the picture.

I cajoled Erin into finding me a Di Costanzo with some age on it, and she secured a '14 Farella for me.

I am very critical of Cabernet, let me assure you of that. I couldn’t believe how lively this wine was - amazing acidity, bright and energetic. Note I do NOT typically like ‘valley’ fruit, particularly Cabernet, as it often is flabby, and this was a tremendous surprise for me. Will be difficult to wait on the 2017’s and 2018’s in my cellar

1 Like

Looking at my purchases I had already bought the 18 Di Co? must have been from the quarantine thread so i’m in for Farella and Montecillo :slight_smile:

Well, damn. I waited until just now thinking we had an “allocation” system here only to find that we don’t and only Napa was left.