TN: Bedrock OldHillRanch Heritage '19....(short/boring)

Finally cracked one of these open last week:

1. Bedrock OldHillRanch Heritage SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty RW (14.5%; Plntd: 1880’s by WilliamMcPhersonHill; Tended: BucklinFamily) 2019: Very dark color; beautiful blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/classic SonomaVlly spicy/rather black pepper light toasty/oak/smokey very dusty/OV rather complex very aromatic terrific nose; lightly tart very intense blackberry/boysenberry/very spicy Zin rather peppery/classic SonomaVlly Zin some toasty/smokey/oak quite dusty/OV complex beautiful flavor w/ modest ripe tannins; very long/lingering lightly tart very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin very spicy/peppery quite dusty/OV some toasty/oak fairly complex finish w/ modest ripe tannins; a classic OH Zin w/ a strong Bedrock signature; beautiful Zin.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I have, of course, followed OldHill Zins from the very start. When JoelPeterson made his first one. As I recall, it was the ravens cawing up in the trees surrounding OldHill that inspired Joel to put a raven on the label & call it Ravenswood. His first two Zins ('76) were Vogensen & Polson vnyds, so he must have made his first OldHill in '77 whilst they were still in barrel.
    I loved this rendition of OldHill. It doesn’t seem to have the structure & rough edges of the old Ravenswood OH’s or the Bucklins, but shows more of a polish & elegance you’d expect from Morgan.
    Tom
1 Like

As a “heritage” wine, is it a field blend of some sorts?

1 Like

From the release notes

One of the oldest vineyards on resistant rootstock in the world, the vines here date to the 1880s and are a field blend of 30+ varieties, including Grenache, Mataro, Syrah, Petite Sirah, Alicante, and a cabal of Alpen varieties (Persan, Mollard, Etraire de la Dui, and Corbeau) that I am convinced add to the always alluring aromatics.

2 Likes