2019 Burgundy -- What are you buying?

Offers are starting to come out. Seems like an awesome vintage, but prices seem mighty steep, particularly given the succession of great vintages we’ve seen. Envoyer just offered '19 Faiveley Cazetiers–a wine I typically love and buy almost every year–for $160. That’s essentially double what it was just a few years ago, and it’s not some trophy wine. I’ll be a buyer in '19, but I’m likely to be picky, and I will also look to actively backfill 09/10/12/14-17.

1 Like

The 2019 offers have been quite disappointing. I get that it’s a great vintage and yields are down, but there are plenty of other good to great vintages or wines this decade that are cheaper. And a number of US sellers are still pricing in tariffs so not inclined to buy early unless a wine or price is compelling.

Trapet, Rossignol Trapet and Marchand Tawse.

1 Like

So far
Hudelot-Noellat RSV & Richebourg
Duroche
I dont wanna load up too much. Heard 2020 was better than 2019.

2 Likes

Where did you hear this? I thought 2019 was pretty bullish.

I’m going all in on the 2019’s. so far

Fourrier Griotte
Chevillon Les Calles, Les Vaucrains
Guyon (various)
Hudelot-Noellat Beaumonts
Dugat-Py Mazis

more to come! [cheers.gif]

Heard from friends in Burgundy that Volnay is particularly strong and from more than one person that D’Angerville is on fire in 2019!

1 Like

According to Bourghound that is correct.

1 Like

I read it from different sources. I cant find the links right now. 2019 is bullish but read 2020 was even better.

I think these days of generalizing by commune are past, at least in a vintage where it wasn’t the case the one commune was e.g. wiped out by hail. There are a lot of good producers in Volnay, so in a good vintage such as 2019, it is unsurprising that many good wines were made. In fact, on paper, given the timing of rain events, one might have been tempted to think that 2019 would have disadvantaged the Côte de Beaune relative to the Côte de Nuits, but that didn’t show up in the glass. Anyone who buys some 2019s from e.g. Lafarge, d’Angerville, Thomas Bouley, Thierry Glantenay, Voillot, etc, will not be disappointed.

1 Like

Fair point. I am not on the ground tasting, but I have heard from a quite a few people that d’Angerville’s 2019s are particularly noteworthy. I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

It’s really too early to say about 2020! It’s certainly a promising vintage, and a lot of people are very positive about it; but equally, the weather was more extreme than 2019 and I guess that, in red, it will be more heterogeneous.

If your logic for not going crazy on 2019 is that there will always be another vintage, that’s sound, and an important thing to remember in the heat of the moment; if it’s just to wait to go crazy on 2020, then I think it’s more questionable. I’ll be buying both.

They were certainly very impressive! I was even more excited by what I tried chez Lafarge, but we’re talking about fine shadings and wines that show differently one day to the next. Will be happy to have both in the cellar.

Duroche, Fourrier, Hudelot-Noellat, Lamarche. Looking for Arnoux-Lachaux,

You were already pretty upbeat on the Lafarge ‘18s (which got me to buy some)—how do the ‘19s compare?

1 Like

+1

Combination of high prices (60%), almost full storage (30%) and 2019 still being on the riper side (10%) will make me very selective and will drastically limit my 2019 Burgundy purchases.

I currently am backfilling a little here and there.

I’m saving my bullets for 2021, supposed to be a great vintage

4 Likes

Golden rule of Burgundy says 2s are good? I think 2022 is the gonna be the vintage of the millenium… saving up now!

They really realized all the potential of 2018 while avoiding its excesses. 2019s are a touch finer boned, and they were singing when I visited - perfumed, dynamic, complete. I rated 2019 a touch higher, whereas for example I see that Neal Martin rated 2018 higher. I will be buying both vintages for my own cellar.

1 Like

It’s posts like this that cost me money. I love Lafarge – there may be better wines out there but I’m not sure there are any that I find more enjoyable. Now I need to seek out his '18s and '19s.