What Patricia Green Cellars are you drinking?

There are a lot of Patricia Green Cellars notes on this board. And Jim Anderson is a standup guy. So, I thought I’d create a topic where we could share our notes.

For newcomers, here are a couple of good threads:

PGC Library Release (with terrific insight from Jim on what’s drinking well, January 2021)

PGC Etzl Block Vertical 2004, 2005, & 2007-17 (via Kirk.Grant, June 2019)

Happy posting!

1 Like

Thank for starting this thread Patrick.

Here are my notes on the 2010 Etzel Block

3 Likes

The 2012 Old Vine Ribbon Ridge. Picked it up a few weeks ago during their library release. I’m a newbie, so can’t describe it as elegantly as many on this board, but I will say my wife and I are thoroughly enjoying.

2008 Patricia Green Whistling Ridge-opens a little cranky in the nose but great energy in the palate. Very vibrant, lots of movement, excellent red fruits under lots of other nuances, good acidity and very fine tannins. The nose settles in after 20-30 minutes, but the overall perception for me was that it wad excellent but day 2 could be exceptional.
On day 2 the wine was very, very good. Exceptional aromatics of purple flowers, loamy earth, red plums, great weight and balance.

Hard to say that this wine was even at plateau yet, and another 10 years should be very doable.

1 Like

As long as you like it, there’s never a need to describe a wine in a grandiose manner. If you’re looking to improve your tasting note descriptions though, check out an aroma wheel . It may help you put words to the things your smelling and tasting. Aside from that, it’s all about tasting and smelling a bunch of things to have those in your memory bank and accessible to you when describing what you’re tasting and smelling.

2012 Patricia Green Freedom Hill.

Splash decanted for several hours. Very aromatic nose of earthy red fruit. On the palate, raspberry, a bit of candied cherry, forest floor. Dense pure fruit. Medium plus body, fresh but not juicy. Some spices and slightly biting tannins towards the short finish. I enjoyed this after some air, especially the aromatics.

1 Like

We opened a 2002 Patricia Green Anden Pinot on January 31 and I finished the last tastes Thursday night and last night. The wine was wonderful even after being open and recorked for 2 weeks. Black cherry with secondary characteristics and no sign of decline. I had spotted this particular bottle because it appeared to be leaking. The cork was soft, but the wine was delightful. No rush on drinking the last bottle.

On deck tonight, let’s go back to the beginning in honor of the new thread, how about 2000 Patricia Green Estate Pinot or 2000 Patricia Green Balcombe Pinot? I’m leaning towards the Estate with the thought that it’s the debut single or opening track from the debut album.

1 Like

PGC made a Whistling Ridge bottling? Was this a one off? Did you lose a bet to Jim that year and have to give him the fruit?

They had 2 acres from when I started working with Richard and Patricia until 2012.

1 Like

Bottled every vintage from 2003-2010. Not sure if we bottled it or not in 2011. Definitely got the fruit in 2012 but did not bottle it as a SVD. Marcus took over in 2013 and it seemed sensible for him to get the 2 acres we were buying. Good run though. Mostly the wines were good to very good. 2009 stood out to me as the best of them. Good people. Adjacent to both our site and Beaux Freres. We have a block of Wadensvil we call the Confluence where the 3 vineyards intersect. Have a good overhead drone photo of that piece.

2004 Patricia Green Balcombe from the Library Release.

Decanted 1 hour. Earthy, red fruited nose. Sappy red fruit, raspberry, strawberry. Some cola, baking spice and more earthy notes. I got some effervescence mentioned by others on CT, but it blew off after an hour. Nicely aged classic Pinot.

1 Like

We used to be much heavier on the use of trapped CO2 as an anti-oxidative ingredient. 2004 is probably the apex of that style for us. It definitely diminishes quickly at this point but is certainly still there and noticeable if you pop and pour. I would recommend decanting all these older wines anyway (for sediment) so if you do that I don’t think this will be any sort of an issue. More like a look back in time on how we went about things. Glad it showed well in the end.

1 Like

Thanks for the history, and the advice on how to get the best showing. Big fan of your wines, and I had been snapping up aged versions at retail even before the library release. So I had some idea what to expect- I like to pop and pour, (or short decant for sediment), then enjoy slowly over the evening to watch the wine evolve.

What I mean to say is, I really enjoyed this wine!

Thanks for the heads-up Jim. Just got notification that the case is shipping, can’t wait to pop a bottle!

Received a case of PG this last week. Unpacked it today. Fun to have some older PG in the cellar. Now how long to wait…

I wanted to add my recent 2008 Singularity . Jim sent this as his generous gift during the Berserkers Oregon Pinot charity drive. I knew nothing about this particular wine - nothing on the website and not in Cellartracker until I added it. I subsequently found out that it was a private bottling for Patty and Jim. It’s a haunting wine and I really liked it. The palate is savory with black tea, mushroom, thyme, and with cherry at the end. Whoever else received this is in for a treat.

2006 Patricia Green Balcombe Vineyard
From Library Release
Opened at the Grey Savannah… PnP’d (cork was still pristine). Just crazy good right out of the gate. Dark cherry more resemblant of maraschino (in a really balanced and bright way) and loaded with asian spice that just explodes out of the glass and over the palate. We followed it through the course of the 6 course meal and it just continued to shine. Blown away by how much good some age has done this wine. gonna say 2030++ because this feels like its just getting into a really nice window and the energy its got feels FAR from aged or tired.

I received my PG library case yesterday. Looking forward to cracking one open.

Keep us posted with TNs Patrick. What’d you grab? I have a 2010 Balcombe Block 1B on deck for next week that I’m excited to try

This is a super special wine…the generosity of Jim is something special and hard to put to words. Truly the spirit of kindness & passion that drew me into the wine world.

Very, very, cool. [cheers.gif]

1 Like