A.G. On 2017 Barolo

Seems like a vintage when no Monfortino will be made.

I thought this was an interesting read. I had been kind of worried about how 2017s were looking based on what I had been hearing from other Italian regions (Tuscany in particular) but am glad to hear theyre not feeling like a super warm vintage. maybe this is a good place to compile a short list of cooler vineyard sites that might have shone in a hot year?

I did get a good chuckle on a price listed for one of the wines. 2017 Burlotto Monvigliero was listed at $80. FFIW I don’t ever use the prices he lists as a benchmark. But that stood out.

Also, glad to hear the vintage is good.

Noticed that too. I think AG may have switched prices for Allesandria’s Monvigliero and Burlotto’s?

I think $80 would be the regular retail price. I have never paid more than that amount.

I’ve never found it cheaper than retail. [cheers.gif]

I just bought some 15 and 16 Burlotto Monvig. 16 is definitely more expensive - based on what I paid, I’d say $80 might be wholesale

ha, I noticed that too. someone mentioned Alessandria as well but I think that price was listed to be very similar.

Jason I just pulled the receipt. I paid $73 for the 2016 monvigliero, not discounted.

That is awesome. You must have a fantastic relationship with the retailer and they take care of their regulars ?

Most retailers are selling for 2-5X that price

I don’t see buying many 17’s. It was good to see some of my favorites- Vajra and Grasso have solid reviews as I seem to align well to AG. I’ll probably wait and buy those next year. I’ll still be buying 16’s this year. They are so good.

1 Like

I will be interested in tasting the 17s when they begin to arrive. I also do not plan on buying much, maybe anything. Also will continue to focus on buying more 2016s the remainder of the year, with some resources dedicated to 2016 Brunello as well.

I went very heavy on 16 barolos and barbarescos assuming I wont be buying any for a few years… so far I am happy with that decision.

Feels like 17 will be tough sell with so many good 16s still available.

[wow.gif] [winner.gif] [welldone.gif]

Below cost. That sounds like a favor to a friend.

I wonder if drinking these at home with more time to let them shine actually made him favor the 2017s more than he would have. I imagine that with a wine like Barolo, the more time for assessment, the more you will like the wines generally.

I was only able to get one bottle but I got it for $76 plus sales tax in Seattle. I asked for 6 but it was highly allocated. I also got one bottle of Acclivi fir $67 plus tax. And one of the Cannubi for $78.

I can tell you that wholesale was between $36-$48 per…

A lesson I learned a long time on this board was that If I was asking for a wine consistently to buy each vintage. For this producer in particular I also buy the Barbera and Ares? (blend), at least a case of each. For the 2015 and 2016 vintage I didn’t pay over $80 for monvigliero or Cannubi, where ever I got it.

I shop at places that do a consistent mark up. I might pay more for some wines by $1-5, but they are also at the regular mark up.

I m only gonna say one thing : 88 points to ca di morisso 2012 it’s a joke of a score and something that should make us all consider the credibility’s critic .