Macdonald Waitlist

How long should I expect to be in the Macdonald waitlist before being offered?

No idea…I signed up in June of 2019 and have never heard a word other than the original account creation confirmation email I received.

If you got on the list 2021, my guess is maybe your kids or grandkids might get an allocation.

1 Like

I believe there are up to the end of 2014 sign ups

While I wait I’ve taken a small allocation of Blankiet since the 16’s were released. It is the only other way of tasting Graeme Macdonald made wine. The 18 offer is currently open until the end of the month.

1 Like

Signed up 2 years ago. Hopefully with a larger 2018 crop there will be more available? Unicorn Wine…

I signed up Feb 2014. Alex assures me I’m getting close :slight_smile:

I signed up December 2020, with the expectation of never receiving an allocation. Keeps the wine spending down.

2 Likes

Just pick up a side hustle and buy them on the secondary market. Boom - problem solved.

MACDONALD. plz fix. thx.

March 2015 sign up, checking in. Nothing yet.

Nov 2014 sign up. Still waiting, although I did check in with Alex in July and he said they hoped to be adding to the list for both ‘17 and ‘18 releases but wasnt sure how far they would get.

1 Like

I’ve yet to have a Macdonald, but the Blankiet wines are pretty much as good as they get in Napa. IMO, they are strangely under the radar especially given the property and the winemaker.

Not sure when I signed up for the mailing list but I’m not expecting anything in the near future.

I had a 2016 Blankiet Prince of Hearts last night, and with 4 hours of decant time it was singing…

Not to start thread drift but the first Blankiet I had was a 14 Prince of Hearts from when the late Denis Malbec was winemaker. And was blown away that a second wine could be that good. Signed up for the list to try the flagship wines before I even knew that Graeme was new winemaker. So I understand why he took on the project given what he has to work with there.

Detert probably needs a shout too.

A quick peek at CC board gives a window into why these waitlists never move. Who would skip an allocation of something (MD, Screagle) they can turn around and sell for 4x the very next day?

2 Likes

This is the answer. The waitlist will clear when the aftermarket price gets down to, say, 20% below list price.

For Schrader… I agree.

For MACDONALD… is not falling out of favor any time soon.

I think @HoosJustinG has it right. It’s is a “dirty little secret” that is not so secret. No one will leave an allocation list that you can sell half of your allocation the next day and have half of your order for free. The allocation list is not supposed to “flip” their wine, but it’s a natural process for some. With that said, I would venture a guess that a majority of the individuals on the allocation list actually don’t “flip” any of their allocation. Most of them likely keep their entire allocation. This is just my guess at least about berserkers who seem to keep their allocation. However, if you were lucky enough to get on early there is literally no reason to ever leave if you can afford your allocation. Either you get free profit or absolutely wonderful wine or both. It’s a win-win-win. You may be able can find someone on here that may let you purchase a bottle or two at price, but that is very rare.

I signed up in 2020 in hopes that my 6 year old son would some day have access to the allocation list and that is probably a stretch :slight_smile: Best of luck!

1 Like