TN: 1987 Bodegas Riojanas Rioja Viña Albina Gran Reserva (Spain, La Rioja, Rioja)

Punching above its pay grade if you ask me (and by that I mean the price, not the producer/region!). I paid $45 for this!?! (back in 2012). Great stuff.

• 1987 Bodegas Riojanas Rioja Viña Albina Gran Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (2/14/2021)
    Damn, this is even better than my last bottle 8 years ago! Still a bright but deep ruby with copper along the edges, nose brings rose petals, leather, still that barnyard funk and clove-like spice, with the cherry notes a bit more in the background now. Incredibly harmonious and smooth, with the fruit coming out a bit more, but still layers of flavor, a nice acid edge, a fine and elegant tannin backbone, dancing on the tongue through a long bright cherry finish. Fantastic aged Rioja in great harmony. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

FYI - anyone wanting a bit more info on Riojanas - check out their page on Rare Wine Co. No more of this available, but you can currently get the sister Monte Real Gran Reservas from 98, 01, and 04 for some great prices ($46-$60), or maybe splurge on a 1942 for $795. Bodegas Riojanas - Rare Wine Co.

Thanks Brad. Had this a couple of years ago and thought it to be very good as well. Reckonn I still have a bottle kicking around.