TN: 2018 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean Rouge

• 2018 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean Rouge - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (2/19/2021)
    A terrific nose of dark cherry like fruit. Intoxicating. A beautiful red core to the fruit keeps it from that darker side that I do not like. The palate is sublimely textured. A beautiful feel. A melange of darker red type fruit just bursts. Finishing VERY long and satisfying. This wine is still a baby but already so delicious. I really like what Jean-Marc Pillot does with this vineyard in red.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

I received an offer for a very small allocation of JM Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 2018 reds today. I can get: 2 bottles of VV, 1 bottle of 1er Morgeot-Fairandes and 1 bottle of 1er Clos St-Jean. I typically don’t like to buy single bottles especially for bottles I cannot source if I drink it early and want it again… or if the only one is corked!

Shout out to anybody who has tried these cuvées in 2018: should I grab all 4 of these? Any of these?

Sounds awesome. I like their whites, never knew how the reds might fare.

Hmmm…Phil : I think you had answered the questions yourself.

I just opened ( 3 to 4 days ago ) : Des Croix -A-C Les Boutieres 18 (1411-0471 $63). It is delicious and I am sure it will fit your prefer style by red Burgundy.

It is light ( lack of stuffing or volumn on day but put on weight on day 2 )…and it fit very well with the general character of vintage 2018 ( sun-kissed grapes).

Or if you prefer a better version…try Les Bressandes 2018 ( but at CA 94 ).

BTW…did not need to buy also Pillot whites to get his reds ?

Nope, I can cherry pick in whites and reds. Since they are private imports though they are on the pricier side:
Chassagne-Montrachet Vieilles vignes 2018 76$
Chassagne 1er cru Morgeot-Fairendes 2018 139$
Chassagne 1er cru Clos St-Jean 2018 139$

Thanks for the info - Phil.

My only experience with Pillot are his white in 2010 and 2011.I did not have any experience with his reds.I bought them with SAQ during promotion sale at 10% to 15% discount. Pierre Seguin used to the importer.

From the prices your listed…they are quite expensive for a 1er cru red for vintage 2018 at $140 - in my personal view for the market in Quebec, Canada.

You could go to Des Croix - Corton (red) at around $170. I am pretty you will love it…( based on your TNs with his CV).

I checked my inventory and they are:

J-M Pillot - C-M Les Vergers 10 (1181-7180 $77-$70-$66)
J-M Pillot - C-M Les Vergers 11 (1181-7180 $77-$70-$66)
J-M Pillot - Chassagne v.v. 11 (1181-7171 $55)

Yes, you’re right Peter. I let these go. Another day, another wine! Cheers.

‘12 vintage of this wine was so good…

1 Like

07 wasn’t so great