Wines that have significant graphite?

Looking for wines that show significant graphite under $50? Any suggestions? We can go over by a reasonable amount…

Look no further than many young Bordeaux.

edited to add:

Here are some that I’ve had in previous vintages where I frequently noted to have graphite notes in them. My experiences with graphite tend to be more p[ronounced with these communes. 2014 vintage was the last that I kind of looked around in Bordeaux pricing and these were at or below your $50 requirement.

Margaux: du Tertre, Labegorce, Marquis de Terme, Prieure Lichine
Pauillac: d’Armhaillac, Haut Batailley, Haut Bages Liberal, La Tourette
St. Julien: St. Pierre, Ch. Gloria, Talbot
Haut Medoc: Cantemerle, Sociando Mallet, Caronne St Gemme, Charmail, Chasse Spleen

Which ones… I’ve yet to find it…

I’d look for Pauillac’s, maybe with a decade on them.

Try stirring your wine with a pencil. neener

Pauillac is your best bet.

Edited my note above to add suggestions as you requested.

1 Like

Thank you!

Aargh! I’m sure you didn’t intend this, but your trolling me.

Do you mean lead pencil aromas? If so, the characteristic scent of pencils is really the cedar that’s used for the pencils, not the lead.

Graphite is odorless and its use as a descriptor seems to be based on a confusion between the scent of pencil wood and the lead. (The wax that graphite is mixed with in pencils does has a very faint odor, but I don’t think that’s what anyone is referring to.)

Over time, people (including many critics) began substituting “graphite” for “lead pencil” when what they’re really referring to is the scent of cedar. (“Cigar box” is a classic descriptor for Bordeaux. Cigar boxes are often made of cedar and, of course, take on tobacco notes, too.)

For a fuller treatment, see this thread on the topic, and this illustrated graphite sniffing research.

OK, that’s my rant about careless wine vocabulary for the day. Please forgive me. [worship.gif]

4 Likes

Damn Johnny you are wound tight! [snort.gif]

I had to warn you first.

While I appreciate the rant and get your point…can you also provide any recommendations…

I’m not drinking a lot of Bordeaux these days, which is the category where this is classic, so I’m no help. Alfert is the man to listen to. I’m only here to give you a hard time.
[wink.gif]

Fonbadet, Sociando-Mallet, Grand Puy Ducasse

1 Like

So are you suggesting that none of the carbon allotropes have an aroma?

The classic Eberhard-Faber was probably cedar. A fine writing instrument that could become a deadly weapon. (See G. Gordon Liddy)

Today we have Smencils.

Made from old newspaper permeated with exotic scents.

While BDX is classic, if looking new world, I would seek out WA Cabernet. Unfortunately, this is not something I drink often, so I cannot give you a list of producers to seek out.

1 Like

I recently had a bottle of Chateau Gloria (mid range pricing) which I think displays the attributes you are looking find. But I also like the Washington State suggestions, even though Merlot based…try the Longshadow Merlot.

1 Like

Grand Puy Lacoste

1 Like

I feel like good Argentine malbecs and blends feature that significantly. Achaval Ferrer Quimera is a very nice wine at around $35-40 which is fairly easy to find.

1 Like

I’m unclear on the term graphite.
As John points out, are you talking about lead pencil (which Bordeaux has in spades), or about a mineral quality (which is how I’ve seen it used before)?

Sometimes see it in Priorat reds, such as Terroir Al Limit’s wines. Low yields and real stoniness. Also in some Coonawarra CSs. But sometimes it is the oak (and char) that lends the graphite aromas.

I have found both graphite and cedar in wines, the cedar is often on the nose, the graphite is more of a mineral flavour/texture on the palette. 2004 Belgrave was the first wine for me that I wrote graphite in my tasting note.