TN: 2016 Lagier Meredith Syrah (USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder)

• 2016 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (2/22/2021)
    On night one I thought this was the most open/giving Lagier Meredith Syrah I had ever tasted. 48 hours later I go back to it, and while I am still convinced as of its forward nature, there is so much more that it was initially holding back. The deep, plummy/blackberry fruit co-mingles with black olive, roasted meat and a scent that I can only describe as violets on a wood fire. The texture is plush, with the tannins buried beneath bucket loads of fruit and savory flavors that coat the palate. These L-M Syrahs seem to take forever to mature, and given the density of the 2016, forever might be too short. Thankfully, given the density, it will likely be engaging and pleasurable at any point along that long road to eternity.

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Great note. I enjoyed this recently and am glad for the BerserkerDay six pack I got.

LM Syrah’s age forever. I don’t know of one that has gone completely over the hill. Also the fact they are usually about 14.2% alcohol and 100% used oak is refreshing. As is the $48 price-point. And… Steve and Carole are such great people. I think Mt Veeder is an unsung AVA for Syrah and maybe the best place in Napa to grow Rhone varietals. I keep wondering how great a GSM from Mt Veeder could be given how well Syrah seems to do up there.

2 Likes

They do age forever (so far…forever is only 25 years or so to date). I actually struggle with the right time to open many of the vintages, as they seem to remain in stasis for such a long time. I may plow through a lot of this 2016 just because it is so yummy now. There’s plenty of other vintages that, while excellent, are not so immediately friendly.