TN: 2004 Elvio Cogno Barolo Vigna Elena

Popped this in honor of La Festa del Piemonte a few weeks ago. A true wow wine and an example of why I love this hobby - the insatiable, neverending quest to learn more. My first Nebbiolo Rose. Purchased as a library wine via WD, this is still young and only beginning to show secondary characteristics. Beautiful aromatics of dark cherry, licorice, roses, cinnamon, and some forest floor. The palate is intense, concentrated, and layered with moderate, fine tannins. Roses, ripe dark red cherries, tar, leather, and some black tea. So fantastic and probably five years from peak. (96 pts)
45C0C150-77D1-44CE-8E01-9E81EECD49DD.jpeg

3 Likes

Thanks for the report, David. I supposedly have plans to try a 2010 Elena this weekend (along with a Bartolo and a Sandrone le Vigne), so I’ll try to report back.

Nebbiolo Rose? Pic looks like a normal Barolo to me. WD?

Check out this thread to learn more about Nebbiolo Rose - Nebbiolo Rose - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers . It’s a fascinating topic.

Wilson Daniels.

Nebbiolo Rose is one of the three main variants of the nebbiolo grape (and the least common), not a wine made with limited skin contact.

Sorry, hadn’t seen that thread. I’m sure you’ve had them before, though, although maybe not 100%, as I believe there were often blends of the various types of Nebbiolo planted in older vineyards.

1 Like

I opened one a couple weeks ago. Slightly elevated cork so I thought it might have been damaged in shipment, but it was fine. I noticed the closures on two other bottles I have (separate lots) weren’t perfect so who knows. But the wine was excellent. Wife loved it. I splash decanted and let sit for 8 hours. Maybe it was a little muted but a great drink and the tannins weren’t too harsh. I plan to source a few more from a shop in IT soon that will ship to the US. Enjoy

Thanks, Andrew. The closures on my bottles all look fine. I’ll report in after Sunday.

Great producer and for me on the verge of being recognised in the top 10 best barolos .

2010 Cogno VignaElena yesterday (along with Sandrone le vigne and Bartolo M)–Medium red color, captivating floral red fruit and cherry nose. because of this i was expecting a lighter palate, but the palate had nice suave breadth and great length, again darker red fruits and a little spice. Tannins are there but not at all intrusive. Young, but a real pleasure even now.

Next thing, they’ll make a Nebbiolo Blanc, but it won’t be a white wine. newhere

[pile-on.gif]

nebbiolo-rose-all-day.jpg