Are Rosso di Montalcino generally a sign of what is to come?

I’ve been expanding my Brunello knowledge with the great 2015 and 2016 vintages. In the past I’ve bought a few from the better vintages, but am excited to go a bit deeper and broader now.

For those with several vintages of experience (or more) - is what you find today in the Rosso di Montalcino from a producer a good reflection of house style (no matter the vintage) or the quality of the vintage and direction the Brunellos will take for that vintage, from that producer? Does it vary notoriously for any particular makers - maybe with their rosso coming from other vineyards altogether?

For example - take Uccelliera - will their 2018 Rosso give me a good idea of their style that I can apply to their 2015 Brunello or 2016 Brunello and just expect some basic vintage variation? Or for that maker is their Rosso a fully different beast?

How do others use Rossos to gauge the vintage or the maker?

[popcorn.gif]

Not super experienced but I would say you can find commonality
of vintage typicity across the two wines types.

To a lesser degree also winery style.

Ucceliera is a good producer. I have tried both their Rosso and BdM. But if I were to compare those two wines I would do so from the same vintage if possible. Hard in any one discreet moment in time in the marketplace I know, requires buying over time.

My generalization is Rosso and BdM are different wines, even if there is a house style.

Not a great example but comparing the two types to me is like comparing a winery’s Willamette PN to its single vineyards.

Hope this helps. Keep buying and tasting and report back!

Thanks, Karl, I appreciate your thoughts.

I agree, it takes some planning to get Rossos from the same vintage as the Brunellos which will come 2+ years later. For some Rossos you can still find them near the time the Brunellos are coming, or are available on pre-arrival, but it gets $$$ and they become more far flung rather than a local buy.

It’s a good question. I think there is a significant house / terroir / winemaker connection between the two, but because (a) I don’t drink many rossos, due to (at least up to the 2016 vintage) how reasonable Brunello prices are for the quality, and (b) the vintage disparity noted above, I’ve never really delved into it much. I tasted them (different vintages) side by side when visiting Montalcino producers, but that was a long time ago the last time I went, I think 2011 and 2007 were my last visits.

By the way, it’s a great and highly underrated place to visit as a wine lover. Beautiful area, some great inexpensive traditional restaurants, winery visits can be awesome, especially Uccelliera.

Thanks, Chris - I am starting to amass a bit of Uccelliera, it would be fun to visit them, so I’m glad for that recommendation. I’ve been to the town and done some tasting there in the Fortezza years ago (Banfi I think at the time?) but not the same as visiting where the wine is made. We had a great time a few years ago at Boscarelli near Montepulciano and still enjoying drinking through what we bought there.

Are you hungry Lonnie?

I don’t know the answer to your question based on my limited experience, but I think you can find some similarities in a house style. Talenti and Tenuta di Sesta, for example, for me. Speaking of which, the 2018 Tenuta di Sesta Rosso is a great value for $16! A back up the truck type of value!

Ed

I was able to taste at Casanova Di Neri in 2015 and was able to try a large lineup. I walked away with a few White Labels 2010 Brunellos and a few of the 2012 Rossos. I thought they were completely different! The Brunellos I tried (08 Tenuta Nuevo/10 Wht) were very dark fruited, rustic, woody with lots of earth while the Rosso was unusually red fruited with some dark fruits too but ripping with acidity and delicious! Ive tried a few Casanova Rossos since then and have picked up on some similar notes with licorice flavors i recall last time. So from my experience they are different Rossos being much more youthful… Makes we wonder if the Casanova Rosso is partially tank aged… I dont know why I havent loaded up on that wine… god its good…