TN: 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard

• 2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/23/2021)
    Getting on towards thirteen years from the vintage, and there is a clear glimmer of developing maturity. It’s not yet heading in the sous bois direction, but there is a distinct element of umami coming through on the mid-palate. Still it’s a massive wine in terms of overall density, but not heavy. Patience is starting to be rewarded, but further patience is required. Structure is developing on pace with the fruit, so I am not worried about balance. That holy grail of a Rhys Pinot that achieves full maturity is still out there. Choose wisely.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Now this Rhys bottling I think has the goods to go the distance. Thanks for the note, David.

2008 is the best of the pre-2012 vintages at Rhys. I still think the more recent years are better.

Honest question, Why are wines since 2012 better?

Sounds like a crowd pleaser. For some reason, I imbibed all my 08s prematurely. Is what it is. And for some reason, I have some 07s laying around. Wasn’t planned.

Full Maturity is an interesting unicorn to chase, God’s speed.

Kevin Harvey has talked about things such as vine age, learning the vineyards, and fine tuning the winemaking (e.g. levels of stem inclusion). I don’t recall all the details, but 2012 was a bit of a dividing line on some important things if I correctly recall his comments. From my personal standpoint, I have sometimes found the wines from 2006-2011 to be a bit “blocky,” with more nuance showing, even at release in wines from 2012 forward.

1 Like

Maturing nicely with red cherry fruit merging with developing secondary earth. Ample acid and a hint of tannin. Great texture.

Along with 2006 Alpine Hillside, this is my favorite Rhys to date showing development. Drinking very well now with more to go.

1 Like