TN: 1991 Weingut Max Ferd. Richter Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett

Poured in a Zalto Universal. Yellow and white flowers, desiccated apricot, lightly bruised yellow apple, petrol, and white smoke waft from the glass. Great concentration and bracing acidity on the palate (and I mean this in the best way), with dried orchard fruit and a complex lingering finish of smoke, slate, and herbal tones. Very impressive, if this has taught me one thing it is to #ageyourkabinett. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

nice note. You guys are inspiring me to buy more Rieslings

1 Like

Maybe I should change my IG handle to rieslinginfluencer [rofl.gif]

Maybe I should change my IG handle to rieslinginfluencer > [rofl.gif]

or the rieslingpusher [rofl.gif]

Very awesome. I’m quite envious. Was that the one that was up on WineBid a while back? I slipped up on bidding on that one. Been tracking down a bunch '91 wines, rieslings included since it’s a birth year wine for me. Waiting until October to start cracking a bunch of them.

Yes this was one of the WineBid bottles.

Bummed I missed it, but glad it found a loving home, and liver champagne.gif

1 Like

So you made me look. 1993 is the oldest Kabinett I still have.

So who has a good selection in the NY metro area? What about an online retailer?

Nice vintage to have.

After this bottle my oldest kabinetten are from 2015 [head-bang.gif]

For aged Kabinett? Your best best is going to be the odd one here and there at auctions, not many come up relative to higher pradikat wines. Otherwise, for current vintages it’s much of the usual suspects: Flatiron, Crush, Chambers, Leon & Son, etc.

1 Like

A couple of stores with a few older German wines:

https://bassins.com/wine_list.php?&country=Germany&sort_by=vintage&sort_order=asc

Me, too. Looks like I have a couple of bottles of 1981 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett, and two bottles of 1976 Dr. von Bassermann-Jordan Riesling Ruppertsberger Hoheburg Kabinett.

Whoa! Rieslingstudy will be announced shortly and the focus will be on aged Kabinetts! Hope open you can come. Current plan to is to do it for a Saturday launch at Aska! Staytuned!!!

My oldest Kabinetts are 1998 and 2001 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr and 2005 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch.

My oldest kabinett is a 1990 Christoffel-Berres Ürziger Würzgarten that I still a 2 more bottles of. Pity that after those the oldest is 2015

I’ve bought from both MacArthur and Crush before. Most places I buy German riesling have kabinett that only go back about 5 vintages.

We’re there!

The plural is Kabinette. (And I am jealous. My oldest are 3 bottles of 2008 Prüm WS). [cheers.gif]

Es tut mer leid. Someone should tell John Gilman to correct his newsletter as well :wink: