TN- a $55 Grand Cru Red Burgundy- 2014 Delarche Corton Renardes VV Reserve

Could a $55 dollar bottle of Grand Cru red Burgundy actually be good? Answer: YES! I realize Corton-Renardes is no Richebourg, Delarche is no DRC, 2014 is no vintage-of-the-century; nonetheless, this wine is delicious and the QPR unmatched.

The cork is perfect and the wine is very youthful looking in the glass. Out of the bottle, it is a bit like an awkward teenager; all knees and elbows. There are general flavors of red fruits, earth, nice acid, gentle tannins, but it was disjointed.

But the wine really pulled itself together after an hour or two in the decanter. The flavors somehow became both more individually discernible and also more synthesized. The generic red fruits defined themselves as sour cherries, cranberries, fresh red currants. The earthiness became damp soil and wet fallen leaves. The acidity became more defined that got the mouth watering, the tannins took on the texture of a fine whetstone. And yet, despite the greater definition, these components pulled themselves into a beautiful coherent whole. The sensation was like taking a step back from an Impressionist painting; wonderfully defined brushstrokes cohering into a previously obscured whole. This wine is really nice and was honestly the perfect pairing for a variety of frozen dumplings after a long exhausting Wednesday wearing fleece pants and fuzzy slippers. This is not a special occasion Grand Cru, but one for the weeknight; and for that, it is perfect!

I am a bit skeptical of the CT drinking window of 2030-2040. Not sure where that came from. This wine could certainly take a few years, but I would recommend drinking it prior to 2030.

Thanks for the note. This might be the first note I’ve ever seen for any vintage of Delarche Renardes. There is a 2001 down in my cellar; you are giving me a good excuse to open soon.

the drinking window is likely because Corton starts to shine only after decades in the cellar. I wouldn’t pop a 2014 till at least 2034 unless I was assessing for a purchase.

1 Like

I had some vintages of Delarche C.Charlemagne but not the red. A really good producer. Drank my last bt of CC 2004 last fall which was delicious, so I do not doubt the long drinking window.

Thanks for the TNs.

Red Corton has been my go-to g-crus for the last few years as the other g-cru are getting more expensive every years.

I normally buy them in cases…and open… one of the them every few months.

Very nice TN, Noah. Please don’t apologize for posting on a wine that sounds interesting, no matter what the price, rarity, or reputation. I wish people posted on more “regular” wines as opposed to “trophies” that most of us can’t afford. champagne.gif

1 Like

Marshall…I share your opinion. l