TNs: Pichon Baron 2012 & Leoville Barton 2016

Chateau Pichon Baron 2012
Colour starting to evolve and aromas moving into a more savoury, complex and earthy spectrum. The nose is quite stern, with reserved fruit and quite a marked graphite / pencil led character. Mid-weight, dry and savoury yet with a lovely, bright, seam of acidity that almost verges towards a citrus lift. This feels as though it’s undergoing quite a subdued phase but there’s crisp berry fruit in the middle and that acidity starts to pick out detail. Not a particularly burly vintage for Baron. Finishes dry and with a hint of coffee grounds.
92/100

Chateau Leoville Barton 2016
Primary, youthful, imperial purple. Stunning nose of cassis, blue fruit, toasty oak and blossom. Exuberant and intensely aromatic. Pure and vivid blackcurrant leads the palate. Glossy, silky tannins frame the fruit and the texture is seamless. Dark-toned, spicy and muscular, yet the structure is very well cushioned by the richness of fruit and everything is lifted by a julcy acidity. Despite its volume, this is very elegantly-proportioned and classical. Mid-palate complexity and scent holds interets, morphing on to finish that combines silky tannins, sweet fruit and a saline snap and freshness.
95/100

2 Likes

Glad to see this. How long did you decant? I’m surprised at how open it sounds.

You know what? I didn’t decant either of them. Opened them about 2pm, tasted around half 4 and finished them over dinner. Normally I would have decanted, if we were drinking Bordeaux like this at home, but these were initially for a Zoom call with some clients and I didn’t want to get into all that.