The 1980 Burgundy vintage at age 40

As I think some of the people I’ve exchanged with on this forum over the last year will know, my labor of love in 2020 was a retrospective report on the 1980 vintage in Burgundy, and we just made it free-to-read on The Wine Advocate website. Here’s the introduction; the rest is on the site, including some observations about the history of winemaking techniques, generational change, Burgundy’s economic fortunes, etc etc.

France, Burgundy: Revisiting the 1980 Vintage After 40 Years

Where vintage reputations are concerned, justice can be a long time coming. When the 1980 Burgundy vintage hit the market, it wasn’t warmly received. “The malolactic fermentations were protracted, and people tasted the 1980s before they were finished,” reminisces Frédéric Lafarge, “when the wines were still firm and angular.” What’s more, the influential négociants of Beaune, already amply stocked with the copious 1979 crop, gave the 1980s short shrift: one even openly criticized the vintage. The trade and the press alike tended to echo this unflattering assessment, and sales at the Hospices de Beaune auction were down 17% compared to the year before. No doubt a severe global recession, ushered in by the 1979 Oil Shock, didn’t help.

By the end of the decade, however, opinion was shifting. In 1990, Robert Parker would describe 1980 as “one of the most underrated and pleasing red wine vintages…of the decade.” Clive Coates agreed, describing the finest wines of the Côte de Nuits as “outstanding,” noting that they had unjustly “lived under a cloud” since their release in inauspicious circumstances and arguing that they surpassed their 1979 counterparts. Most recently, Allen Meadows and Doug Barzelay observe that, while “the wines were critically dismissed…it has turned out that, among the dross, some very fine reds were produced.” Today, the 1980 vintage remains, in a sense, stuck in limbo: on the one hand, it is admired by Burgundy insiders and a source of considerable pride to more than a handful of producers, yet on the other, the year is little talked about beyond these rather exclusive circles.

Since 1980 Burgundies on the marketplace are few and far between, what is the interest in revisiting the vintage on its 40th anniversary? Most obviously, because the highs are so high: They may not be numerous, but the very best 1980 red Burgundies, as the accompanying notes attest, are profound wines drinking at their apogee today. But the tepid initial reception of the vintage was another incentive. I tend to think that in wine criticism, all conclusions are provisional: Every vintage deserves to be revisited and reappraised, and after 40 years, the 1980 Burgundies are ripe for reassessment. That contemporaneous commentators describe the year’s wines as initially a little lean, fleshing out in barrel and in bottle to attain levels of depth and dimension unimaginable early in their lives, suggests that a retrospective report of this nature may offer useful professional heuristics as well as interesting our readers.

It was only when my tastings and research had begun, however, that I came to appreciate the extent to which the wines of this era offer a fascinating window into the history of a rapidly changing region. Aubert de Villiane has sagely observed that to understand Burgundy’s wines, one must understand Burgundy’s history; but his maxim cuts both ways, as the wines of a particular vintage—evoking the climate, the conditions, the methods and the personalities that crafted them—in turn illuminate an era. A project initially conceived as a simple retrospective tasting thus took on rather more ambitious proportions once undertaken.

For the rest: Robert Parker Wine Advocate

Among many of the photos illustrating the article are a couple that are especially fun for anyone who knows Ted Lemon and Frédéric Lafarge:

Lemon pigeage by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

Lafarge 1 by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

3 Likes

Ted is hung like a rogue elephant!

Ted looks like he just got out of school to help out with the harvest.
Frederic looks like John Lennon was his favorite Beatle.

3 Likes

Jeremy,

Should the emphasis be on the word “rogue?”

I enjoy your posts, especially this one!

Cheers,

Hal

Squeeze me, baby!

[rofl.gif]

Fascinating article, thanks for sharing it William. And thanks to your employer for making it public!

The transition to the new guard in the early 80s reminds me so much of the transition happening in the last decade, bringing new ideas and energy. It’s another reminder that every period features some of the next generation taking over. Wine value increases in Burgundy in the last 20 years perhaps a bit more inspiring, though.

One side note. My tasting group recently sampled a blinded 2014 Littorai Thieriot Vineyard Chardonnay (Ted Lemon winemaker) and everyone thought it was clearly a White Burgundy, either a 1er or GC.

Coincidentally, I just put one of those in my fridge the other day. Very happy to read this.

Great shot of Ted!

Thanks, William.

In many cases, of course, it’s happening at exactly the same domaines!

Thanks for the kind words and glad the Littorai showed well.

Lol. Classic.

Someone needs to feed that poor guy a burger or three!

I am really digging the stemware Jacques Seysses is brandishing there. Somebody needs to revive those.

Truly. I love the old glasses, similar in profile, that they still use at Leroy and used until recently at DRC. Lalou told me she bought a vast number of them back in the day. No one seems to make anything like that any more.

If only there were a few stemware entrepreneurs on this board we could persuade to consider a retro series…

2 Likes

Loved the article, and love the 1980 vintage. We opened an 80 La Tache this week. In a word, divine. At the first sip, it was so good I literally started laughing. Drunk in a nice trio of 80, 90, and 10 La Tache. My first very careful “dinner” of the covid era, with both vaccinations under my belt. So far vaccine has been the only benefit of being 65.

2 Likes

William, great, great article! Thanks for sharing it. Looks like notes for subscribers. Curious if you ever found any Voillot? I think we had talked about them briefly.

Sounds like a very good way to start!! Which did you prefer of the three?

Yes I did - Pezerolles and Rugiens, both pretty, charming, totally resolved, though not especially complex or persistent. Happy to have a few more though.

Fabulous article as usual, William.

The only thing we disagree on is the '80 Drouhin Clos des Mouches. I liked it a great deal more than you!

1 Like

I liked it a lot and thought 91/100 would convey that!

Here is a photo of the I guess 17th-century wooden wine press they dusted down to use for the 1980 Clos des Mouches, and a few vintages subsequently. I didn’t include it in the article because I didn’t want to give cursory readers the impression that this was usual practice 40 years ago (though e.g. Clos de la Perrière in Fixin did use a press like this through 1959, so the holdouts lasted longer than one might have thought).

Drouhin wine press in 1980 by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

All three were fantastic, but the 1980 was my favorite. Partly emotional, as I’m a huge fan of the vintage, but it truly was spectacular. Purchased way back in the day. The 1990 was also pristine, having recently been purchased from a close friend, who’d had it in his cellar since release. Three guys, two white burgs (2017 Ramonet Batard and 2017 Drouhin Montrachet), three La Tache, an empty room at a country club, and four brilliant food courses. A nice way to re-enter.