Carver Sutro Petite Sirah Palisades Vineyard

I really liked this wine. I believe the last vintage was 2012 and that the Sutros sold off their winery and/or vineyards in 2015. I thought the wine was made with estate grapes.

I tried to track who may be making PS from what was purchased from the Sutros or at least who is making PS from the same block of the Palisades vineyard. But I lost my notes. Does anyone know?

Edit: from trying to repeat my research, it seems PS grapes from the Palisades vineyard are now sold to Robert Biale, TOR, and the Once and Future winery. Anyone have thoughts on any of their PS?

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m sure others will jump in here, but this is truly a spectacular ‘old wine’ PS vineyard and may be one of the finest in CA for the variety. I know cuttings from this vineyard are also available and have been planted throughout the state, including down here in SB County.

Cheers

Add Carlisle and Mending Wall to the list of those who make wine from Palisades.

I have one 2007 Carver Sutro left.

Just received the Once and Future offering. Decided to give their Palisades petite sirah a try.

You won’t be sorry - an excellent PS and surprisingly approachable early on (at least the 2014 has been).

I also really dig the Carver Sutro Pets. Drank a 2001 from magnum a couple years ago that was killer!

I visited them when I was at Vinfolio. It was 2008 as I recalled the hard frost in Spring that year was the time i was there.

Quick reply here to everyone that loves Palisades Vineyard. In 2015 we bought the vineyard from the Carver Sutro family and have continued to sell our old vine Petite Sirah (now listed as a Historic Vineyard with the Historic Vineyard Society) to Carlisle, Robert Biale Vineyards, Once and Future and Mending Wall. Over the last few years, you can also find vineyard designates from TOR and from Moone Tsai. We will be releasing our own label within the next two years. Not only have we kept all the old vine Petite Sirah but we have also planted head trained (and organically farmed (not certified but we farm that way since purchasing the property) Chenin Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet Franc. On St. George rootstock (mainly, with some 110R for all those into such things) and now producing some pretty amazing grapes. Thought I’d catch all of you up with what’s been going on with Palisades Vineyard — we did survive the Glass Fire last year though the hills around us totally burned.

2 Likes

Okay, nominated as one of the greatest first post on WB.

Palisades is the best PS vineyard. Period

1 Like

I’ll second that across the board!

Appreciate the update on the Vineyard and am thrilled to hear that it seems to be in amazing hands! Looking forward to hearing about your first release - please post the details here whenever you’re able to [cheers.gif]

Thanks for checking in with us. Very much looking forward to hearing more about your new venture.

Felicia, thanks for the update.

Felicia, thank you - do you know the name of the label you will be releasing your wine under?

Hi Felicia - glad to see you folks are launching your own label. I think I told you this many years ago but for the boards edification I thought I would recount how we produced a Petite Verdot off the property in 2012 (I believe) with fruit purchased from Dennis. We were using Enologix at the time and that wines draw down in tank set the record for the highest-ever-recorded complex anthrocynin assay and index score they had ever seen. Not sure if someone has surpassed that since then but it speaks volumes to the incredible dirt you have. Nice to see that you have kept it planted to the original PS…I think a lot of people would have ripped it out and re-planted a $250/bottle Cabernet program. Kudos.

Cameron

Love the Palisades Vineyard PS. A 2006 Carver Sutro PS was the best Petite Sirah that I have had.

1 Like

Thanks WB… Another unplanned purchase thanks to these boards! [cheers.gif]

Just picked up a couple bottles each of the 2009 and 2010 Carver Sutro PS. Really looking forward to trying these.

As noted above, Felicia, please let us know if/when your new project has a name and/or website we can follow.