Thursday night pasta TNs: Two Chianti

And in addition to being a Thursday night, also my birthday. Although I’m to the point where I’ve stopped counting, so who really cares. But I do get to pick the menu, so I’ve got some fresh focaccia from the local bakery, and my better half is making cavatelli with sausage, escarole and cannellini beans, which should provide a nice foil for the two bottles that I just opened.!

• 2012 Castell’in Villa Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (3/4/2021)
    I guess there may be other producers that folks might consider as (or more) traditional, but more often than not, when I think about what Chianti means to me, Castell’in Villa is the producer that comes to mind first.

And for a middle of the road vintage, this wine is drinking great today - vibrant cherry fruit on the palate, good acidity & persistence - in short, pleasure in a glass. One of my last bottles from a case bought on release, and I will be sad to see these go, as off today’s showing, this wine might have another decade of good drinking ahead of it.

• 2012 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (3/4/2021)
    This isn’t bad, but doesn’t quite run with the Castell CC I just tried. That wine seems to dance on your palate, and this one comes across as less lively, although there is some nice complexity on the palate. The fruit is darker-toned here, and there is a hint of drying/unresolved tannin on the finish. But perfectly acceptable for a Thursday night.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Happy birthday, Bob. Hope you have an enjoyable evening. I went looking for my last bottle of the 2012 Felsina last weekend and couldn’t put my fingers on it. I went with the 11 instead. I may try again this this weekend.

Indeed. Happy Birthday Roberto. Fitting wines for the occasion.

RT

Happy Birthday, Bob. Sounds like a nice night with Chianti and pasta. Well done.

Happy Birthday Bob!

I’m past counting too but Happy Birthday, Bob.

That pasta sounds like a good combination. My kids are reluctant to try any non standard dressing with pasta other than tomato / meat sauce or clam/white wine sauce

These two make for an interesting study in style/terroir. Both from Castelnuovo at the southernmost end of Chianti Classico, yet always markedly different in style and expression. Generally speaking, I buy both and like both very much, but, at the end of the day… Coralia’s wines really are quite something.

Happy Birthday, Bob! I really enjoy reading your notes on Italian wines. Hard to go wrong with Chianti and pasta.

Ed

This was me, sorry, couldn’t log in from my device for some reason some hours ago.