Navarro Pinot and Chardonnay question

A recent thread on gewürztraminer prompted me to check out the Navarro sale with free shipping. Gewurz is the only wine I have had from Navarro, but it looks like they have some interesting pinot and chardonnay offerings. Can anybody enlighten me on style and quality? With the discounts, they are tempting. Thanks

David,

I believe they took part in a BD special a few years back - you may want to search notes for that. Since they concentrate almost entirely on DTC, their prices are quite reasonable - and they are a pleasure to deal with. Sorry I didn’t answer your direct question but you may want to do a search as well . . .

Cheers

1 Like

They’re delicious and age incredibly well. All of their wines are very well made.

2 Likes

Their dry Gewurz & dry Muscat are both wonderful.

In terms of the Pinots, I really like the Deep End.

1 Like

the pinot and chardonnay are excellent and then pile on the QPR factor and it’s nearly unbeatable.

Todd/I talked about having them participate in BD12, they fell off the radar themselves, but had a bunch of stuff going on so it fell off my radar.

we’ll probably see them next BD because people want their cheese too.

2 Likes

Add my name as another endorsement for the quality of their products!

I have some late 80’s/early 90’s pinots that are still awesome.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention their Rieslings. From dry to dessert, they are excellent. The Cluster Select Late Harvest Riesling is practically immortal.

Even their Zin, Barbera, and PS are absolutely delicious. Their Cab is also a screaming value if you appreciate old school style cali cabs.

The 2 Chards are quite different. They have the basic bottling which I believe is in the $10-15 range is a great wine for the price. Their Méthode Ancienne Chard ia distinctly different- richer, creamier with a touch more wood.

The Mendocino / Anderson Valley Pinot Noir is a great<$20 bottle that will last decades. I’m still drinking some from the early 00’s. They’re fruit forward and in a word - medium - all around. It’s never a blousy bottling. A classic Pinot Noir.

The Méthode Ancienne Pinot Noir will have a bit more distinction, richness, and clarity of fruit. There’s a sense of refinement in that bottling. It is to me the most classic example of a premium Anderson Valley Pinot Noir as it still has a touch of that rusticity that so many of the modern Anderson’s lack due to having a more modern point of view on winemaking.

Wait, I wanted to say that! Nice take.

Looks like I may be taking the rubber band off the wallet. Thanks all.

I haven’t had them in a long time but they were wines I liked but didn’t love. Great values though.

Their rieslings and muscats are what I love from them. And the grape juice.

Yes, love the Méthode Ancienne Pinot. Also, really enjoy their dry Riesling, Rosé and Sauv Blanc. I usually get a mixed case to get the 1 cent shipping. You really can’t beat the prices.

I’m a long time grower for Navarro. I have delivered fruit to the winery since 1978 without missing a year. I’ve lived through three different winemakers as well.

The lower end Chard is mostly inland fruit and at times unexciting. My favs are SB, mid and upper level CH, mid and upper level Pinot and late harvest wines. Pricing is crazy good.

If you have a Navarro Cab from '78-'04 it was likely 100% from Eaglepoint. Now I grow CH, PG, WR and GW for them.

A really underrated producer, and blessedly affordable.

I’ve always like the chardonnays and the pinot ancienne. And the late harvest rieslings are outstanding – really tops.

Ok so I am severely biased due to Navarro being the tasting that initiated our wine journey…the aromatic whites are all superb. Really all the whites other than the Chardonnay seem to me to be perfect examples of the grapes. Not talking down about
The Chardonnay but none of them has ever struck me.

Of the pinots, I’d say all of them hit as great values and age well as others have said. Most recently we had a Deep End 2006 magnum and it was very youthful and wonderful.

Finally, the sweet wines are fabulous. Just had a 1988 Riesling late harvest over the holidays and it was pure gold.

Also a fan. I think the premiere reserve chards are superb for under $30, and the muscat probably my second favorite.

Okay, it’s done.

I’m hammering on them for next year’s BD13.

Added to my TODO list.

1 Like

This! All there wines are fantastic. I always buy a case during the mystery “Fukubukuro” red bag sale (I don’t think they did a 2021 sale?!?). I am never disappointed. Their rose is dry, crisp, winemaker cat-nip.

Superb values, very good to outstanding wines and some of the best people to deal with. A must stop if you are ever in Anderson Valley.

Black Friday Pinot sampler- 50% off

https://www.navarrowine.com/shop/2021-black-friday-sampler

Six-bottle sampler of 2017 Pinot Noir, three unfiltered, is being offered for $108, a savings of 50%! There is a limit of one sampler per household. However, you can also add six bottles of any Navarro wine or non-alcoholic juice of your choice and the twelve bottles will qualify for One-Cent shipping.

Offer available through Monday, November 29, or until sold out.

Sampler includes 3 bottles each of:
2017 Pinot Noir, Méthode à l’Ancienne
2017 Pinot Noir, Méthode à l’Ancienne, Unfiltered
Sampler Price: $108.00
Savings of $108.00