New Cellar not finished. I moved in anyway.

I’ve been working all winter on my wine cellar in the corner of my basement. This week I finished the tile floor.
We’re having company tonight and I want to show off so I couldn’t wait until after I paint/install the baseboard and crown mold trim.
It may be a while before I go back and do those final steps. My back hurts after moving 750 bottles of wine, after bending over for 10 hours to do the tile work.
But here it is:

January
WineCellarProgress01.jpg
Now
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg

10 Likes

Wow – congrats. That looks really nice. My guess – the trim work will probably not get done. Which is ok. :slight_smile:

Most of the boards are already cut and fitted at the corners. I may be able to drop them behind the racks and skip the nails until whenever. :smiley:

2 Likes

same boat. I don’t have a door on mine, just an extra piece of insulation that I fit in the opening. But the racks are full up and I still need trim molding on the floor and doorway. I’ll trim out the frame and put in a proper door eventually.

I like the metal/marble racks.

The wood - are those drawers?

1 Like

Curious as to why you didn’t go with taller racking on the back wall since there seems to be space for it. I really like the counter top. Plenty of space to set bottles up for a while, to open bottles, etc. All around very cool. Nice job.

Looks amazing! I can’t wait until I can make an official wine cellar!

Great progress. Excited to see it come to life.

I originally built the two lowboy units to fit under a workbench in my basement. They have chilling units that circulate cold water thru the bottle hoops.
For the one on the back wall I’ll build an upper section that attaches to the lower unit, to at least double the capacity per sqft of floor.
A wall mounted rack will go above the quartz top for another 100 bottle capacity.
The Danby refrigerator will be replaced with a freestanding rack much like the one Anton D won in the BD auction a few years ago.

I need a special shelf to display some of my empty “trophy bottles” - first growths and other great '70s-'80s BDX. They won’t stay on the counter for long.

Awesome cellar! I love the wooden drawers and that countertop!

They act like drawers, sort of.
Here’s what the rack looks like empty.
IMG_0544.JPG

Nice job!

1 Like

Looks great, nice work!

Wow! Looks awesome! Those metal racks are serious! Custom, or built by you?

That is a lovely setup! Awesome work!

Wow, that’s pretty awesome.

This sounds familiar!!
I had a pink polystyrene insulation board over my door opening for 9 months while our door got sorted! The first door arrived with dirty glass inside the double panes, the second door was warped to the point it didn’t contact the seals, the third iteration had a warped jamb. Ended up using the 3rd door and 2nd jamb and a lot of elbow grease!

Are those commercial baker’s racks?

I went with an inexpensive pre-hung exterior door.
My wife doesn’t understand why I didn’t get a solid door, since I plan on installing a shade anyway.
BB4A6F5A-3E71-4DDA-B125-A7FA4289549E.jpeg

Very nice! Love the metal racks with the wood cases.