TN 1997 Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona Brunello di Montalcino Pianrosso

This is gone. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Prunes and more prunes. Thick, syrupy, orange brick color with a green-tinged edges.
If this was a Barolo, it would be singing, but I guess 24 years is too long for a Brunello, even a 97.

Mark,

Bummer that this did not show well. For what it’s worth, we sampled a bottle in mid-December and it was quite good. I have two more in the cellar so I hope they are still alive!

Cheers,
Doug

Maybe it was heat damaged. I’ve had it so long I don’t remember how or when I acquired it.

I’ve had the 1999 several times in the last few years and they’ve all showed very well.

Of course I’m much more of a 1999 fan than a 1997 fan for Tuscany to begin with but the flaws you describe could be just as consonant with heat damage as with being over the hill.

As with Jay, I think 1997 in particular is not a great Chianti/Brunello vintage for aging (and I enjoy both '99 and '01 a lot more).

It was a ripe and accessible vintage at an early age, and often didn’t show the spine/structure for long-haul aging. In addition, I agree with your overall assessment that, as a generality, 24 years is a long time for MOST Brunello, even in a very strong vintage. There are, of course, exceptions. I am finding that my '01s and '04s are mostly mature by now (and many '06s are becoming quite drinkable). With respect to the '01s and '04s, I’m finding that even within a full-case purchase, I’m finding most bottles drinking very well but already hitting occasional bottles that have turned (i.e. advanced, pruny, stewey, raisiny flavors). Our of 4 recent bottles of '04 Fuligni, 2 were great, 1 was over the hill, and one was “in between” (still quite good, but I’m glad I drank it when I did).

In my view, 10-15 years after the vintage is a good rule of thumb for good producers in good years, and MOST Brunello is fully drinkable and accessible within that time frame (even if some could potentially age longer). For example, right now, I’m finding many of the '10 Brunellos and Chianti Classico Riservas are starting to drink really great–expressive and still showing freshness and fruit. Unless you really like your wine on the older side, I would start trying many of those over the next few years (despite the fact that it’s a very good/solid vintage)…

2 Likes

Thanks John. Good and useful to hear 2010s are starting to drink well.

I had drunk my first bottle of the 2007 some weeks ago and it was great. I would say there is no hurry with this vintage.

Agree with John about the 97 vintage. It was similar to the 97 vintage in Napa — very ripe, overrated early, variable in how well the wines have aged.