TN: TablasCreek Marsanne '18....(short/boring)

My latest TablasCreek shipment arrived ystrday, so cracked:

1. TablasCreekVnyd Marsanne Estate/AdelaidaDist/PasoRobles (12.0%) 2018: Light gold color; strong apple/bit pear/Marsanne slight floral/apple blossom some stony/chalky/perfumed talc rather fragrant fairly classic young Marsanne nose; quite tart some lean/chalky/stony/mineral light floral/apple blossom/appley/Marsanne/slight spicy flavor; very long appley/Marsanne/bit floral/apple blossom bit austere/earthy/stony/chalky rather tart finish; a pretty classic bit closed/tight young Marsanne that needs 5-10 yrs to really get interesting; will certainly put on weight; great price for an ageable white. $22.75 (VIN)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This was the Feb TCV special offer. Like most young Marsannes, it badly needs some age to develop that honeyed/nutty character of an aged Marsanne.
    When I first started trying BobLindquist’s Marsannes back in the '80’s, I was singularly underwhelemed by them. It wasn’t until Bob served me a 10 yr old Qupe Marsanne that I finally saw the light. He’s served me 25-yr old Marsanne that are absolutely amazing.
    In the late '90’s (I believe), Bob started adding a bit of Roussanne to his Marsanne. That was sufficient to give it a bit of an aromatic lift & make them much more attractive upon release, without affecting their ageability. I think this TCV Marsanne would benefit from a bit of Roussanne or GrenacheBlanc to make it more attractive in its youth.
    Tom
2 Likes