TN: 2003 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco)

Shocking news, I know. While I’ve had some pleasant 2003s with the most successful ones being German Rieslings I guess it is safe to say at this point that one is better off avoiding this vintage no matter how attractive the pricing. I paid 30€ in a shop in Turin a few years back which is obviously not much but considering the opportunity cost (limited capacity when flying) I probably should have known better.

• 2003 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (20.3.2021)
    Decanted for a couple of hours to no major effect. Savory, herbal and leathery on the nose with quite plentiful dark cherry fruit and a prominent note of tar. Expressive, if not terribly vivid. Fairly rich on the palate with ripe but not overripe fruit. The attack is classic and attractively bright but midway through some heat starts to emerge and the finish is tannic and quite drying. I think this wine perfectly captures the vintage, i.e. while seemingly well made and very recognizable the heat definitely comes through and renders the finish rather harsh. Happy to try it but finishing the bottle is not a realistic goal.

Posted from CellarTracker