TN: 2007 Vignavecchia 'Vigneto Odoardo Beccari' [Chianti Classico Riserva]

2007 Vignavecchia ‘Vigneto Odoardo Beccari’ [Chianti Classico Riserva] Popped and poured, over two days, best on day 1 after open for a few hours. A short cork, soaked up about half way up. 13.5% abv. This is a single vineyard bottling from a producer that doesn’t seem to get brought into the US much. I think they had some representation from direct importers (K&L, WTSO* etc) in 2007,2008 and 2010 but other than that it appears to have had a limited presence here for their 1000 cases production. That’s too bad, since it a good wine, and AG gushed over the 2007, and I can see why. The 2007 is a medium ruby in color, medium bodied but with thick alcoholic legs, and a nose that shows cedar, balsalm, black cherries. On the palate, tannins are resolved, and a light acidic edge to go with the cherry fruit. The wine gets some wood elevage but for my tastes that aspect is well integrated at this age. Some tasters have compared this to a baby Brunello, but I think that term is over used, and the coloration is too light for that - because the estates’ lands are a little higher and a touch cooler. I have really enjoyed this rhubarb accented wine, and despite the edge, it is totally fine without food. A- in my ledger and I hope the producer finds its way back into the USA. The owner appear to have fixed the (prior) strange looking labels with current releases. For my tastes, this really had Tuscan / Sangio / Chianti typicity – especially the first glass.
PXL_20210320_012225434.jpg

• back when they actually sold real closeouts, not just made up labels