TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Syrah (USA, California, North Coast)

• 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Syrah - USA, California, North Coast (3/23/2021)
    This is just so darned Bedrock. Incredible value for the $20 or so price tag. Rich, silky, full of fruit and some framing tannin, this sits at the same table with the OVZ and Ode to Lulu for bringing tons of flavor at a bargain price. Why didn’t I order 2 cases of this? Oh, because of all the other stuff I bought!

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m ordering more and more of the OVZ, S-B and Syrah instead of the heritage wines these days. Glad to hear the 2019 Cali Syrah is drinking well. Cheers!

I do love the Heritage wines.

1 Like

Hard to beat the OVZ and Syrah for the price. So good!

Out of the three, the CA Syrah is my favorite.

How grapey is it, David? I bought 3 just to try but generally don’t like super young, grapey big reds. Should I wait a couple of years?

I did not find it grapey, but rather on the rich side.

I always kick myself for not ordering more of this Syrah, OVZ, and Ode to Lulu Rose with allocations when I inevitably go through my stash. Such a great QPR for weeknight drinkers.

House wine for sure. Back up the truck all day err day!

Last glass 48 hours later, and it’s all about the savory. Wonderful.

I have had a couple bottles out of a case and just want to point out what a remarkably good syrah this is. Below are my TNs from this vintage:

4/2/2021 - I WROTE: 92 points (Edit)
PnP. This had notes of meat, violet, blue fruits, faint lactic notes, and a beautiful streak of eucalyptus. The oak is barely present. With 30 minutes of air, I just kept reaching for more. Delicious A controversial take: Bedrock CA syrah is a far better wine than their zin at the same level.

5/19/2021 - I WROTE: 92 points (Edit)
Another great bottle. The oak is restrained, the acid in tune and the fruit fresh (a little blue) with some meat and pepper. Easy to guess the variety, probably new world wouldn’t be too hard, but great balance and killer value at this price point. I sincerely can’t think of a better syrah at $20.

1 Like

David this wine caught my eye but then the price tag didn’t. $29.99. Not sure why this shop is so much more than the Cellar Tracker average.

I love this wine. every time I order I ask if they have more they can throw into my box

Given the quality it’s still a decent deal at $30.

How does it compare to the 18? I just opened an 18 after reading the “What Bedrock are you drinking?” thread and I was very impressed with the depth and structure. Definitely not grapey. I was able to find more for $25.

Sorry, but the 2019 was my first. It won’t be my last.

Sipping on another bottle today, and it’s just so good. I really want to hold onto 3 or 4 bottles to see what happens with several years of age, but it’s probably not happening. Too good.

Agree that these appellation wines are a screaming value. I have a very hard time holding onto them for any amount of time, but from the few instances that I have managed to actually do so, I can say that they benefit greatly. They are delicious in the near term, but they can be really remarkable with some time.

Haven’t touched the 19s yet but the 18 is off the charts great!

We are still going through our 16’s and love them. Thank you all for the notes and updates.