Bevan Cellars Spring release

Got a “save the date” email a week ago and the website just today has info about the offering. It is their non-Cabernet stuff. I am excited to see their 2018 Syrah. The 2013 Moaveni is
an amazing wine. This new release is also Bennet Valley, but not labeled Moaveni. No vineyard designation, which is little concerning. This release also includes their Pinot Noirs and Chard. Don’t know anything about those. As I write this post, the offer is still locked.

I’m curious about the Syrah. Unless you’re someone that just needs to taste the terroir of a particular parcel, I don’t think there’s necessarily anything wrong/worse with including multiple vineyards in the same bottle and a multiple vineyard cuvee can easily be better than a single vineyard because the winemaker has more options (see SQN, Torrin, Andremily, etc.)

Huh? Why? Are you concerned about the Ontogeny, which also bears no vineyard designation?

Tons of posts about Ontogeny vs SVD cabs. Much less coverage of their syrahs If you look at posts about the syrah most have been from me and I know very little about the details.
The last they made were Moaveni 2012 and 13. I would guess they make it infrequently because of access to good fruit. I am certainly a buyer in any case.

I have tasted their 2018 Syrah in bottle, and it’s great. 2019 Syrah barrel sample is phenomenal, as well.

2 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever had a bad Bennett syrah that was made by a good winemaker

I was only allocated 3 bottles of the Syrah. I guess they don’t have much, but I don’t see much enthusiasm for their non-cab line up in general.

For me their style is best suited to Cab. I look for different things with other varieties, not Syrah as Cab, Pinot as Cab and least of all Chardonnay as Cab.

But I do love the Cabs.

I heard it was from the Stiener Vineyard, aged in puncheons and a mix of Alban one and Power Block, but that was a rumor.

Russell Bevan

5 Likes

Love the Bevan Syrahs and in for three of the 2018 (because that is all I was offered). They age well and wish I could find more of the 2006 vintage. A 2006 Porter’s Cuvee last week was awesome and I am rationing my last 2006 two Hannah’s Cuvee. Was lucky enough to score a couple of (ok, 29) Magnums of the 2013 Rusty’s, a one off bottling for the Rusty Staub Foundation auction (mine purchased at a secondary auction). Can never have too many Bevan Syrahs!

Bevan1.jpg

Could not recommend Bevan’s juice strong enough as it is and has been my guilty pleasure. I am so so excited to see the Syrah is back! I am going to get me some!

Been curious about the Bevan Bennett Valley Syrah. One of my favorite CA Rhone bottlings was Greystack’s Muldoon (variable GSM mix) from the late 2000’s. I think they lost control of the vineyard when the owners split up. Greystack is back to making a fabulous Sauv Blanc from Bennett Valley, but I don’t think they’ve added the Syrah blends back.
It’s my understanding, but not sure it’s accurate, that Bevan’s Sauv Blanc comes from the same location. I’ve wondered if Bevan uses Syrah from the same location as the former Greystack Syrah blends.
Anyone know the answer to this?

A good friend buys every Bevan Pinot he can get his hands on because they’re his favorites. I taste 2-3 a year with him. Fun to drink but not my preferred style, I like something lighter for my pinots. They’re pinots on steroids.

I’m a big fan (and buyer) of their Cabs, blends & Sauv Blanc.

see post #9