Oregon will eventually be better than Burgundy; change my mind

I have more Burgundy than any other area, but that is probably going to change soon with Oregon taking the lead in current buying trends. I think Oregon is just a baby, and we are still figuring out what vineyards are “grand cru”–but I do think there is some truth to the joke of you know it’s from Oregon when there is enough fruit that you thought it might be a grand cru Burgundy.

3 Likes

Different. Completely different and always will be.

Terroir is real.

Talk to me in 400 years.

1 Like

Why would anyone want to change your mind. I drink what I like. You should do the same. If you think Oregon pinots taste like grand cru Burgundies YOU would be foolish to drink grand cru Burgundies

4 Likes

The Willamette has tonnes of it!

It seems we just need some monks to rate which ones are best?

1 Like

Seems very likely that, by the end of the century, Pinot Noir from the environs of Beaune will be eclipsed by Pinot Noir from the environs of Colmar, perhaps even Wehlen. Maybe the Burgundians can graft those Pinot vines to Syrah or Mourvedre.

2 Likes

The time horizon I worry about is the end of the decade. I am skeptical burgundy will survive the current rate of global warming.

Any discussion about the future should recognize that Burgundy will continue to heat up, future grapes will not be today’s grapes. I hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Assuming the Gulf Stream also shuts down because of the melting ice, and most of Europe is cooler…

Any talk of global warming in terms of years or a decade is supremely misguided. Global climate change is first a double edged sword - warming and cooling - and second a millenia upon millenia scoped adjustment.

That’s a point about climate change that is almost always ignored. in geological past, a shut down of the gulf stream has triggered ice ages. Ice forming in the polar region (north pole) reflects sunlight and without the Gulf Stream transport, snow cover builds. Eventually, in thousands of years, tropical heat eats away at the ice cover and the cold dense water/ warm salty water transport re-emerges.
Will that happen with human caused warming? A subject for a different category thread.

In the short term of our life-times, I think it is a smart bet to think that Oregon PN will get better faster than Burgundian PN. Surpass? I doubt- more like approach on an asymptote.

2 Likes

For no other reason that nobody in the world can afford Burgundy!

4 Likes

By then, Canada will be the best producer :smiley:

1 Like

Seems even more likely that by the end of the century I will be dead and won’t care. In the meantime, I drive an EV and have solar panels on the roof of my house.

I agree with both of you.
I prefer Burg but also love Oregon PN.

2 Likes

I am amazed by the ability of you people to know with certainty as to what the future will bring. I am only able to buy wines right now and it seems like many wine regions are making great wines. You guys hold out for pinot from the MSR, I will keep buying 2019 Rieslings from the MSR.

But, if we are going to make predications, I doubt by the end of this century we are using much in the way of fossil fuels. They will be way too expensive relative to cleaner alternatives.

1 Like

It will be afforded, but no one will be drinking it. It will sit in vaults like stolen Nazi impressionist paintings, hoping it will retain value for the owners.

2 Likes

466 bottles of Burgundy
521 bottles of Oregon

Still buying Oregon. Very few Burgs. It’s “better” already. If price was no object…that’s a different story.

RT

4 Likes

No, there will be a La Paulee every week which will suck up almost every DRC wine. We will know this when you can exchange a Romanee Conti straight up for a Van Gogh.

I think the premise of this thread makes absolutely no sense.

I have long held that making any objective comment about wine is as useless as trying to hold a handful of water. That being said, I say, and it’s a personal opinion of course, Oregon wines will not surpass Burgundy.

2 Likes

Whatever your opinion of Burgundy or Willamette Valley, there is no denying the fact the in Burgundy QPR sucks whereas in the Willamette Valley there is QPR in spades.

2 Likes