TN: Cigar Night audible to Cork Vault Charlotte (16 Kutch Chardonnay & 07 Whitehall Lane)

CIGAR NIGHT AUDIBLE TO CORK VAULT CHARLOTTE - Charlotte, NC (3/30/2021)

We were supposed to enjoy the refurbished confines of the Charlotte City Club Cigar Lounge but through some mix-up it was closed – despite our confirmed reservation (???) – so we reconvened at our private locker lounge for a few bottles of wine, Sal’s pizza, and a couple cigars (outdoors, of course).

• 2016 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Pop-n-poured with friends at Cork Vault while we waited for the '07 Whitehall Lane Millennium MM Vineyard to get some air. Golden straw color with an opulent nose of lively citrus fruits. Smooth on the palate the wine has a nice backbone giving some weight to the delightful green apple flavors followed by notes lemon zest. Interestingly the fruits show a lot of New World “pop” on the palate for a wine that otherwise has old world aromas, structure, and style. An exceedingly well-crafted wine showing great life at 5 years of age and no signs of slowing down. Hope I can hold some back to check in on them in a few years though right now it is superb. (93 pts.)

• 2007 Whitehall Lane Cabernet Sauvignon Millennium MM Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford
    Slow-Ox for 45 minutes before sampling. I previously decanted an 07 Whitehall Lane Leonardini Vineyard and drank at ~60-90 minutes of air and it was a mistake. That wine had wonderful aromas and flavors but fell apart quickly with a disappointingly lack of body and finish. Not so tonight so I highly recommend Slo-Ox for 30-45 min on similarly aged WL bottles. Bought on release and stored professionally. Delightful nose of earthy plums give way to a smooth, medium + body, and well-integrated tannins. A deliciously balanced wine. Soft velvet on the mouthfeel, dark fruits of aged blackberries and dark cherries linger fabulously into a savory finish (30-45 seconds). This wine was a joy tonight but I would not wait on opening bottles lingering in the cellar. (93 pts.)

I forgot to get the label on the excellent QPR Chave Selection Syrah we closed with but it was a winner and a perfect party wine to please both the masses and wine snobs.
Posted from CellarTracker