Issues with Grassl glasses breaking?

We’ve had our Liberte’s for just a few months and one broke in the sponge while hand washing it. We’ve only used them about 10 times.

Just curious if this is a common issue? Defective? Need to go the gym less?

It’s not recommended to hand wash them as they are very easy to break while hand washing.

1 Like

No issues, and I always hand wash them, since I do not have a dishwasher.

I hand wash ours every day-I’ve never broken one washing or drying.

I have broken 2 or 3 in other ways that were completely my fault. Generally involves trying to balance a decanter upside down on a soft drying mat. I wouldn’t suggest doing this.

You must have a delicate touch. I’ve broken 3 or 4 hand washing, including crushing one in my hand just holding it and squeezing a little too tight. And I’ve heard of many others breaking them hand washing and clearly remember reading in multiple places that it’s not recommended.

Dishwasher for everything and its never broken a thing. Grassl, Zalto, Sensory all go thru the dishwasher.

Snapped a Zalto Bordeaux one time hand washing and have been dishwasher ever since.

We dishwash ours. I’ve broken two, one was dropped. Many, many small pieces.

Interesting. I knew they were dishwasher safe but wish I knew dishwashing was encouraged. Seems like my wife basically crushed it in her hand.

I’ll guess we’ll need to buy another since I assume Grassl is not in the business of replacing broken glasses.

So you’re saying putting these in the dishwasher is the preferred way?

I’ve had 3 break-one I dropped, 1 broke because of poor placement of a plastic cutting board in the dishwasher, and one because a neighbor kid took a bite out of a Cru because it was so thin and she wanted to see what would happen.

I used a sponge once and had it expand in the opening and cause it to break. Now I use those Swedish washcloth things and they work perfectly.

To avoid breakage during washing, I just use them once, and toss into recycling. (jk)

We use these to wash our grassl’s. Works like a charm.

Yes, I think it’s preferred for most of these “modern” glasses like Zalto, Gabriel and others.

Dan
We have a replacement policy. Reach out to me privately.
Chris@cjfselections.com

Mouth blown stems, regardless of who makes them, are fragile in many ways and durable in others.

It really has to do with where you’re exerting force.

The exterior is pretty resilient. Almost such that the glasses have a ‘bounce’ to them

Stick your finger in the bowl with a sponge to get lipstick; you’ll snap the hell out of it.

What I do is this;

Dawn has some ‘power wash’ detergent gimmick. But it’s a spray foam version of the soap. I rinse my glasses -and use the foam to coat the rim. Let it sit for a bit and then head to the dishwasher.

The next best is a suction cup in the sink with a bottle brush design.

But they break. Are some glasses more fragile? Yep. Zalto Bordeaux (too top heavy), Grassl Cru (bowl shape is delicate if you clean the inside bowl by hand) are the most fragile for sure.

If you have a glass that disintegrates in your hand, and it’s a Grassl, if possible, use your kitchen scale and weigh the parts. We have specs. Glass out of spec (too light) is something I’ll happily work with you on. Any glass we have a replacement policy at wholesale.

You won’t get that with Zalto or Gabriel

4 Likes

I think the newest releases have a little more glass than the early releases. Last week I unpacked 2 new Mineralites and set them on the counter. My wife managed to somehow knock them both over, but luckily neither broke. I don’t believe earlier releases with the thinner glass would have survived that episode.

Have a set of Zalto Whites. Only hand wash them. Haven’t broken one yet, but am completely stunned I haven’t. Feels like I will every time I wash them.

Smaller glasses; ZW, G Mineralité; are very durable. Large bowls and fancy designs are less so. It’s that simple.

Remember; these glasses are blown in wooden molds. The first glass in a mold and the last glass before a mold is retired will be different sizes and weights.

You can make a steel mold and then line it with cork but we aren’t confident the feel of the glass is as good.

Besides; you Zalto fans won’t need to worry about the cost of your glasses. Spieglau just threw some shade at them and has launched a machine made version that is identical (to me). That should be a fun Teutonic legal battle.

I hand wash all my stems. They tend not to sit super well in my dishwasher.

I cut a sponge in half lengthwise to use to hand wash my stems. That way the sponge isn’t exerting too much pressure on the bowl. I minimally use the sponge to get rid of tougher stains, but mostly just use hot soapy water and rinse it plenty of times. Never broken one washing it this way. I’ve broken more stems polishing them than I have hand washing them.

2 Likes

This is honestly the way to go. Had an extra from my son’s bottles and have stuck with it since.

2 Likes