Wine lockers for single bottles

Hi,

Long story short, I am located in Canada and I am looking to buy single bottles from auction etc. I doubt I will ever have more than 1-2 cases, and I am looking for a wine storage in either California or New York that would support this, I prefer around San Fran, does anyone know if this exists either with a wine merchant or a storage facility?

Thanks

Alex

Vinfolio

Alex,

Here’s a list of most storage facilities in the US: Wine Storage Facilities

Look for facilities that charge per case and not per locker. Do note that many per case facilities have a minimum monthly amount in their contracts. For example, they may charge $3/case per month, but with a $35/month minimum. Something to pay attention to when conducting your search.

“I’ll take “Things We All Said When Starting In Wine” for $1,000 Alex…” champagne.gif

8 Likes

So this is mainly for storing wines for when I head to California on vacation, however, I said about the same about my cellar in the UK…not sure I want to admit how many 1-2 cases I now own over there! Being from Quebec you have to pay taxes on all wines above 2 bottles, so this would be mainly for vacation drinking…he says :wink:

One thing you might consider: JJ Buckley (a large wine retailer) gives 6 months of free storage and then charges 28 cents per bottle per month. They will hold even one bottle indefinitely at that price point. I believe the warehouse is in Oakland, and you can schedule pick-ups at the warehouse. That might be your most cost effective way to grab some nice wines while they’re available, and hold them for pick-ups on your vacation.

Wow thanks for this…I contact Vinfolio and they charge 30 cents per month if pre-paid…this seems reasonable, but I will check with JJ Buckley

Thanks

Just put them in the fridge. Or buy another small fridge and put them in that. The advantage is that you can also keep some cheese and another gallon of milk in that fridge.

But I doubt that you’ll ever have more than 1-2 cases. How are you planning to drink those? Wait ten years, open a bottle, wait five, open another, wait 3 open another, etc.?

LOL [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] this is 100%accurate.

Buy a huge stash, store at vinfolio for 6 months, “move” to the US then “move back” to Canada a year later, and avail of the one time importation duty exception for people moving to Canada. I think its like 1600 bottles where the duty is on a per bottle basis not tied to value.

I think it sounds like he wants to have a couple cases ready for vacation shipped there in preparation for vacations. I’m not sure Jj Buckley will let you store wine you didn’t buy there but they do have a big selection.

Where would he store the fridge? He lives in Canada. The wine will be somewhere in the US…

Yeah you have to buy the wine there. But if we’re talking only vacation, and California, (which it seems like OP is focused on for vacation locations), JJB is a good choice imo. Pennies per month per bottle, and they do get a lot of interesting stuff throughout the year. Especially if he get hooked up with one of the better private client reps and has a good discussion about what he wants to be alerted to. My guy there is great.

yeh so I went with Vinfolio…they seem quite well set up and I like their pricing…this sort of service exists in the UK but not in the US. So it is mainly for holding wines for vacation, I tend to go out to Cali around 1-2 times a year, so it is just to store wines I cannot buy in Canada, however, it is a good point if I ever move to the US for 1 year, that would allow me to accumulate 180L of wine :slight_smile:

What are you going to drink the other 125 days?