Have the 2010 red Burgundies closed down harder than usual?

Yesterday I had my second 2010 this week. I had already drank a bottle of Glantenay Chenes, which needed hours to open. The bottle, yesterday, was a Louis Boillot Volnay Angles. Pretty much the same thing. Both wines showed beautifully a couple of years ago, but were quite surly this week and needed some serious coaxing to show how good they are. In contrast, the ‘09s I have had seemed quite approachable.

I should add the samples sizes are tiny; 3x 2009, all village wines, and these two 2010s.

had a 2010 Dujac CDLR last month that was GLORIOUS

Had the 2010 Bouchard enfant Jesus in September and it was flat and acidic. Made me sad at the price they charge for it.

1 Like

Much more open and generous than 2005 imo

This hasn’t been my experience other than with a few outliers, notably Rousseau.

I’ve found 2010s to be wide open since release. In 2021 I’ve had the Drouhin Clos des Mouches rouge, Faiveley Volnay Fremiets and Montille Sizies, all great and open. Yours must have been from damp cellars. neener

I think that’s unfair to Bouchard. I tend to prefer their whites, but the Enfant Jesus is a long lived wine that doesn’t tend to be all that fruit forward in its youth. We had dinner last year where Didier, the winemaker at William Fevre (who used to work at Bouchard) brought an older bottle of this and it was really nice.

2 Likes

I agree. 2009 Burgundy (and Bordeaux) did never close down that much but 2010 is an entire different story. I would open 2009 wines whenever you are in the mood and let the 2010 sleep. I guess for a pretty long time.

1 Like

That coincides with my experience with Chevillon NSG village wines. The '09s have been fantastic, the '10s are still quite tight. Only had a couple of the '09 1ers and they aren’t ready. I don’t have village levels in other producers and have stayed away from the 1ers and GC given those data points.

+1

2010 is a fabulous vintage but it still is a very young one. I have had a couple in the last few months that are really singing and a couple that are still young. I had one that Santenay that was not showing that much - is it closed or not that good, I don’t know. But, for the most part, I am holding my 2010s other than to test them out every once in a while.

Are 2020s closing down harder than usual. I would not say that. The other recent vintages of the quality of 2010s IMHO (1999 and 2005) were and are respectively much more shut down.

Didn’t we just have a long thread where everybody was insisting 2010 was the vintage of the century and way superior to 2005 because it was still drinking great and hadn’t closed down?

Yup.

Earlier this year I opened a 2010 Domaine Castagnier Clos St. Denis that was freaking glorious…

2010 Clos des Mouches about a month ago was drinking really nice but definitely needed plenty of time to open up

Opened a Mugnier Marechale 10 recently and it was absolutely shut down.

The bottle I had half a year ago was glorious too as you could sense that there is so much of everything, such a high precision and complexity and unbelievable structure but this bottle was clearly in shutdown mode and far away from what it could be.

My feelings have been that 10 was great at the top but very hard at lower levels.

I’ve found opening my 10’s in the morning, pouring them in a decanter than back in the bottle, then leaving the bottle uncorked all day makes the wine ready for prime time come dinner. Love the 10’s and they’ll only get better!!!

1 Like

I think it is producer specific more than vineyard specific. I had a 2010 Cecile Tremblay Bourgogne La Croix Blanche earlier this year that was fantastic. But, as I said earlier I think the wines are still very young.