Killer frosts again - Cote D'Or 2021

Have been watching some of the social media posts by burgundy vignerons filming the bougies lighting up the landscape over the past few nights. Looks like it got cold enough in spots that they didn’t work.
Today Thibault Liger-Belair suggested that 2/3rds of the buds in one of his vineyards he was walking in are toast after last night. Looks like another small crop in many places.
Another thought after seeing so many of the photos - I’m sure there’s no finger pointing or speaking of it away from the vineyards, but there sure are a lot of landowners who still don’t appear to take any measures to fight the frost.
It would be worthwhile to know who doesn’t feel the need to employ any protection measures in their vineyards and why?

Yeah, I checked the morning temps in France before going to bed last night here in Oregon. Widespread 27F readings in the Cote d’Or, Chablis and Champagne. I didn’t bother checking Loire locations. A serious, widespread killing frost. Seems really bad this year.

And yes, I saw pictures where clearly smudge pots in one vineyard or one section were next to totally dark, seemingly unprotected vines. Who knows the reasons why, I’m sure there are more practical reasons but hopelessness has to be part of it somewhere, founded or unfounded. I can imagine even for the strongest among us, there are moments of despair that translate into momentary paralysis, where you should be doing something and simply can’t bring yourself to the brutal reality. And it seemed so cold and so widespread at some point I’m not sure buying yourself a degree or two is worth all the effort.

Possible (but not likely maybe) that the dark areas are Pinot and those on fire are Chardonnay.

The BBC has a sketchy report on a bad frost and fires to ward off damage in the Loire.

There’s also this tweet from someone who identifies herself as a Burgundian, though the location isn’t identified:

Here’s a fuller story from Reuters:

CHABLIS, France (Reuters) - French winemakers have lit candles and burned bales of straw to try to protect their vineyards from sharp spring frosts, with the forecast of more cold nights this week raising fears of serious damage and lost production.

Temperatures plunged as low as -5°C [23F] overnight in wine regions including Chablis, in Burgundy, and Bordeaux, which could hurt shoots already well-developed because of earlier mild weather.

Super young vines not justifying the effort? Hard to know.

There have been a number of tough frosts in recent years, and some of those vintages have turned out well (16 reds), so let’s see how things go. Obviously all sympathies and best wishes to those in burgundy.

Maybe in a few cases - One of the videos was from Vernonique Drouhin filming from their Marquis de Laguiche Monty, so that neighbourhood is all chard. Expensive real estate too, so you’d think EVERY land owner would do everything possible to maximize potential yield.

The pictures in that article are incredible. I’d be more than a little concerned with the effectiveness of those burning pots at that spacing if temps really hit 23F.

Not sure anything works at 23F

If you take countermeasures for frost, is it not terroir?

7 Likes

Imagine having 20 acres of vines in a dozen vineyards spread over 20 miles. The logistics of acquiring, lighting and manning candles must be daunting. They must have to select a few higher value and/or optimally located vineyards on which to focus.

Paul

I thought about going there…

1 Like

Is it not possible to have wind machines there? I know that smudge pots are no longer allowed in lots of places due to the smoke they give off - just wondering.

With temperatures that low, though, it’s tough to ‘hold’ frost off . . .

Crossing fingers that things turn out okay.

Just throwing bombs. The choice is easy if you have the means

Wind machines are useless at 23. Also is that sustainable viticulture to burn all those fossil fuels to create terrior?

According to Accuweather, the current temp is 26 degrees at 3am in Beaune.

Was chatting with Fabio Alessandria a few hours ago, we both agreed, obviously, that the frost (threat) in Langhe in this moment eclipses the nottue (caterpillars). Dangerous times. The blackness of death, the following day is gutting.

Picking up on this as of 3:45 am local time -

Ampuis 29
Tain 30
Fleurie 29
Dijon 28
Bernkastel 29
Montlouis 32
Reims 35
Arbois 25
Pomerol 31
Pauillac 37
Gattinara 28
La Morra 32

1 Like

I’m trying to find out bud conditions in the N Rhone since most of the vineyard level reports are coming from Burgundy. I’ll post what I learn (if anything).