Retailer check: Yahyn

Hi, any thoughts or experience with yahyn.com? I see that their HQ is New Hampshire, which has some of the most restrictive wine laws in the US, so this is a complete surprise. The website has definite wineaccess.com type vibes. I found one review but it’s not clear if the reviewer even ordered wine from them: Yahyn Review - Is It Worth It? - Vino Del Vida.

It’s legit. Like wine access

Yawn…what an odd name for a liquor store…and from New Hampshire?? Weird.

Sellers sell through the platform and, as I understand it, ship directly to the customers (no personal experience, so I can’t opine on quality of service). Corporate “headquarters” are in New Hampshire, and I’m sure there is a legal, corporate or economic reason for that. The company is actually based in Virginia for contract purposes.

As to the name, it appears to be an attempt to anglicize the Hebrew word for wine, usually spelled yayin.

it’s meant to be backwards, nyhay which is a play on ni hao; hello in mandarin.

When I first saw the name I thought “yawn”

Yayin I could believe, which is what I thought when I first saw the name. If you are right about Ni Hao, the people who chose the name are idiots.

I’ve looked a bit more into it, and it seems it’s more like a Vivino-type model. For example, if I say I want to buy a Christoffel UW Riesling Spatlese 2017 for 21.99 (good price btw), it says I’m making my purchase from All Star Wines. All Star Wines in New York lists the bottle on their website for that price. Flat rate shipping lends some advantage to Yahyn, but Yahyn will add 2% onto the price to cover credit card fees. So, it’s a wash depending upon what you’re buying. I’ve not had great experiences with Vivino, so probably a pass.

Sounds shaky business model to me. Why not simply order from a real store instead?

1 Like

And to close out why there may be better alternatives for wine purchase: Yahyn launches wine NFT. Sure. Why not?

https://curated.tncontentexchange.com/partners/pr_newswire/subject/new_products_services/yahyn-launches-the-worlds-first-nft-wine-allocation/article_751c009b-b4ee-55a0-a21a-5bf5dcbbb98d.html

From their site: “founded by seasoned entrepreneurs and technologists. With more than 1M raised in private equity in a little over five months, it is poised to revolutionize the way we purchase wine…”

Yah. Thanks, no thanks.

They’re for real, I work with them. Yes, based in New Hampshire and Irvine CA, but nothing ships from NH. A combination of retailers and wineries direct, direct imports, etc. We’re adding more wineries and brands each week. Feel free to ask any questions, happy to answer them. We currently have winery direct offerings from Delille, Buccella, Skipstone, Component, Goldschmidt, Nine Suns, Willamette Valley Vineyards, Langetwins, Crescere, etc. The 2% credit card fee falls on the vendor, not customer.

Check it out if you’re interested, here is a 10% off promo code to use: SAN10

FWIW, Crescere’s 98 point Sauv Blanc is killer! Crescere Sauvignon Blanc Ritchie Vineyard 2018 | Yahyn

How do you pronounce Yahyn?

Yah-Yin

I know, I know, I didn’t name it!