A Pretty Handy Lunch

1987 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Vireuils: The first whiff is all struck match. There’s some mushroom and toast development too. It starts with rockmelon and lemon fruit and expands. The palate has a light butteriness and there’s something mildly exotic too. It such a joyous drink, providing pleasure with every sip. There’s a hint of fruit rind bitterness providing freshness to the finish. Absolutely in the zone!

1999 Domaine René Engel Grands-Echezeaux, Grand Cru: Still very youthful, with aromas of dark cherry, rose petals and aniseed. It is deep and fleshy, with a velvety feel against the gums. It has a core of spice laden fruit and layers of flavour. It builds through the palate with something cool and minerally in the background and expands and lingers like great red Burg should. Fabulous but still with so much in the tank.

1961 Giacomo Conterno Barolo: Gave it a 6 hour decant and it was humming when we got to it. Pours out a pale orange colour. The nose has real intensity and breadth, showing notes of Indian spice, dried fruits, fig, leather, teak and truffle. It has vinous sweetness and latent power in the mouth. Each sip unlocks another ethereal flavour and it is a wine of texture and beautiful poise. There are light florals and a finish that seems to never end. A beautiful wine at its apogee.

1989 Château Suduiraut, Sauternes: From half bottle this was rockin’. Honey, apricot, quince and marmalade. It is luscious and sweet, with good volume and concentration. Acidity feels relatively low but it lacks no energy or freshness. Delicious!

1 Like

Pretty handy to see a note on an Engel GE - prices for these have good through the roof and then through the ionosphere!

A very nice lunch indeed!!

As I quickly scanned recent active thread titles I read “Randy” instead of “Handy”. I immediately opened the thread for the details! [wow.gif]

I thought it said a “Handsy Lunch”…but after those wines I could understand! [cheers.gif]

Potrait d’un dejeuner en feu

Coincidentally, I just sold my remaining bottles of this very wine today! Nice wine but ridiculously priced now.