Lipids and Tannins and Pairings, oh my!

Easy to read article on the molecular interaction between food and wine.

“It is the first time that we demonstrate at the molecular level that lipids and tannins coming from red wines are able to interact and that lipids from foods can have an influence on the taste of wine…”

Thanks for the post.

The notion that fatty foods offset tannin isn’t new, but the chemical explanation is very interesting.

In the biophysical study, the presence of Catechin [the “main monomer in grape tannins, … a type of natural phenol and antioxidant”] in the oil-in-water emulsion appeared to cause the lipid [fat] droplets to clump together, the researchers report.

According to Géan, this minute interaction had a big effect on the overall sensory experience of ingesting these compounds. In the sensory experiment, the team found participants who consumed small amounts of oil before consuming the tannin solution reported experiencing a less intense astringency on drinking the tannins.

Interestingly, participants who consumed olive oil in particular reported how the taste of the tannin solution transformed into a fruity taste.

Chemically speaking, Géan speculates this changed sensation may arise from the Catechin clinging to the lipid globules, leaving less space for saliva to interact with the tannin molecules and generate an acerbic taste.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound particularly groundbreaking to me, because over ten years ago when I was working in the local alcohol monopoly, we were taught this in our food-wine pairing courses.

I guess common knowledge is true sometimes. (I always believed this piece.)

Agreed. This is pretty low-hanging fruit for an academic paper on wine chemistry.