Breakage Using Pulp Wine Shippers

I am curious about the frequency of broken bottle losses as the industry shifts from styrofoam to pulp shippers.
I just posted about two bottles FedEx broke recently in a pulp six pack after many years of no breakages using styro which prompted my curiosity.

I’m not sure if the damaged FedEx shipment I was notified of yesterday was in pulp or styro, but I’ll ask.

I’ve had zero breakage in pulp. And some of the boxes get pretty beat up.
Tom

I’ve had breakage in pulp shippers, twice from the same retailer and decided not to buy from them anymore.
They switched to a three part system that looks to me can accommodate a large variety of bottle shapes, but it doesn’t work very well with “standard” bottles as they move around too much. The bottles stand upright.
I have not had any issues with pulp shippers from direct winery purchases, they all have been a horizontal bottle orientation and the bottles fit is very snug.
Really don’t like the environmental aspects of styrofoam.

The only breakage I think I have ever had was in styrofoam. The box was hit on the side and styrofoam broke, knocking out two bottles.

I’ve only had breakage in styrofoam, and when I opened the box, it looked like the styrofoam had dissolved into bits.

I’ve only had breakage in styrofoam, and when I opened the box, it looked like the styrofoam had dissolved into bits.
[/quote]

Same, never breakage from pulp.

No breakage in pulp yet but I am still receiving far more Styrofoam that I would like. None would be a good amount.

Never had pulp break but my think pulp loses integrity quicker if you’re reusing the boxes.

Depends on if they are throwing them into the truck. Neither shoudl break unless the individual is abusing the package and if it says wine then there really should not be breakage.

Never had any breakage with pulp or styrofoam. Here in Portland, I can recycle styrofoam if I drive clear across town with it. Or I can sometimes give it to my local winemonger. But pulp simply goes into my recycling bin with my cardboard. Hooray!

To paraphrase a winemaker who participates here: you should be willing to accept 90% of what is possible in the avoidance of styro. But then, you only got 60% so perhaps you have a legitimate grievance.

I’ve experienced one broken bottle among thousands and that was in pulp.

I’ve experienced one broken bottle among thousands and that was in pulp.

Good batting average!

Shipper just confirmed that my damaged shipment was in styro. Must have really gotten slammed from something, or dropped off of a forklift, etc. Weird when I think of the many many bottles that I’ve had come through just fine in pulp, that styro was the weak link.

Is the pulp recyclable?

I haven’t had breakage in pulp, although there are different styles.

-Al

I’ve received shipments with broken bottles 3 times, IIRC. All were in pulp.

Never lost a bottle in pulp. Have lost 5 over the years in styro due to severe mishandling.

Yep, pulp is recyclable and compostable.

One bottle broken in 15 years. Pulp shipper for the broken one but I get a lot of styro too. Just had good luck all around with shipping.

And I reuse pulp as fire starters or recycle. My locale recycles styro as well.