TN: 1995 Ravenswood Icon (USA, California, Sonoma County)

• 1995 Ravenswood Icon - USA, California, Sonoma County (4/9/2021)
    Library release, acquired in 2020 when Joel Peterson offered back catalog wines. Perfect condition, with a pristine cork, and after 90 minutes of air, a pristine wine. Leather, earth, red fruit, wood fire, meat and a touch of spice woven together over a supple framework. Alcohol poked out a tiny bit, but only at first. At about the two hour mark everything was aligned, in formation like the birds on the label. Drink now until whenever.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thanks for the tasting note, D@vid!!

I am surprised that the “Icon” red wines proved to be so long-lived. Was this a field blend or 100% Syrah?

Didn’t say Syrah on the bottle, so presume it was the blend.

Have not had had this wine. However, I did purchase a few bottles of the 1994 from the library sale, and that one was specifically noted to be 100% Syrah. Not stated on the label, however.

Have a 99 Icon standing up for this evening. 73% Syrah 16% Mourvèdre 11% Grenache.

How was it? Ive got one in the cellar also

Quite good, creamy texture at first, the fruit was up to the task with strawberry and raspberry but it played light on it’s feet with lots of air (did not decant, re-tasted this morning) and the balance is wonderful. The air really helped me with the aromatics which were dominated by old wine nose on day 1 but today not so much. Light, tart and enjoyable.
Throws a shit ton of sediment on first pour so strain it.

Thx for the note and I’ll look forward to that one. I’ve learned to double decant these wines with an hour or so of air before returning it to the rinsed out bottle.

So did the 1995.