TN: 2017 Macdonald Cab

Nose and flavors of blackberries, cherry, petrichor, hint of vanilla that faded away after hours later. A superb and elegant wine but very tannic. The age of the vines and craftsmanship really shines through the wine. Decant for at least half a day. I prefer the 2016 over the 2017. Open next bottle 10-15 yrs later.

2 Likes

Thanks. Certainly an example of taking one for the team.

Just put myself on the waitlist…I am guessing it should take around 10 years to clear lol! Does anyone know how much they sell to their club members for?

My all in (tax/shipping) for the last three years has been around $185/bottle.

Thanks again for tasting. I was luck enough to acquire 7 and it will probably be 8-10 years before i open one.

Dam 7 is a lot. Don’t they usually come in 3 packs?

I’m not on the active list and probably won’t be for another 15 years. I bought on the open market.

It’s going to take well more than 10 years to clear, unless they massively hike their prices.

I don’t think it’ll take that long; once the mondavi contract expires I imagine they’ll make a bit more wine.

They seem to hold their production pretty flat. Will be curious if they ever do actually go significantly higher.

392 cases produced in 2017, 2018 will be 500 cases, a number which they think is a sweet spot and plan to hold there for a while.

1 Like

108 cases = 432 new members. So you’re saying there’s a chance!

2 Likes

Yep. Same reason Screagle list is forever … who would drop off the list when you can turn around and list it for 3x the next day?

Yup probably the best opportunity for a bunch to get access in a while and for a while

From what I read the Mondavi contract ends in 2022. So if they don’t re-up it, I guess they could make a few hundred more Cases (200-300)?

Probably a lot more, but I doubt they will use all the grapes themselves.

I was lucky enough to have a 2014 of the wine list at one of my favorite restaurants for Easter (Priced at 2x!) Sadly was the last bottle they had. It was the first Macdonald I open or ever tried. I have a few bottles sleeping of the 2015 and 2016 vintage, so I don’t have much to go of, but the wine was glorious. The nose, the palate, the lingering long lasting finish. My god. My fiancé and I both decided that this was by far the best Cab we had ever had in the last couple of years (Scarecrow 2015 was currently my early USA WOTY 2021 but I think this one took the top prize)
IMG_5358.jpg
IMG_5356.jpg

1 Like

deadhorse

ya I was being conservative but I obviously have no idea what they would plan to do then.

2x is actually not bad. most I’ve seen are At least 3x. I’m sure Macdonald is good, but I wonder how much is actually just hype.

It’s that good. It really earns the hype, particularly given that all of that hype is generated by wine lovers.