TN: 2018 Saxum Terry Hoage Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

• 2018 Saxum Terry Hoage Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (4/11/2021)
    Poured in the glass about and hr before drinking. As this is a near 50 50 blend of Grenache and Syrah, (from memory) and that is fitting as my main take away was the balance, this young Saxum was so incredibly well balanced. Looking over Justins notes on the THV, I see exactly what he is taking about soft tannins - this wine came across as very elegant, poised, loaded aromatics of rose petal and spices. Lovely red berry on the palate, sandlewood, fresh, and simply delicious. I think this will be a mid term ager, give this another 5 years, and it really should pay off. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I didn’t take detailed notes but we had the 2010 last week (I also forget the breakdown but I think it had some Mouvedre in it). Based on your notes I could imagine what the wine was like young but man at 11 had no complaints: Mocha, welding iron, raspberry, stewed plums (93).

The 2010 was 21% Mourvedre, so a major component.

-Al

1 Like