DRC Corton Charley?

I just got my yearly offer letter from Bonneau du Martray and they noted in their letter in 2019 they leased 3 Ha of CC to DRC.

I hadn’t heard about this. Anyone have more info about their plans with this parcel? Have they produced wine in 2019 or 2020 (for internal consumption only I’d imagine)?

Interesting news and hope to hear more on the acquisition. There may be a lag in DRC producton from the site if the Domaine wants take farming steps (diodynamic) to improve quality before releasing the wine for public consumption.

BdM leased multiple plots of CC to DRC, the idea was to give them several exposures that BdM owns. BdM said that due to their intensive farming it was really too much to manage appropriately.

It is not intended for internal use only (as their batard is), I think they were taking a year to tweak the vineyard but I believe it will be coming to market in the next year.

I don’t like to buy wine for investment, but if I had to guess there will be a significant uptick in valuation for BdM CC as DRC’s price and demand will likely drag BdM’s price much higher. If I were BdM I would say “well of course we kept the best blocks for ourselves”

The first vintage will be 2019, released in the US next spring. I’m not aware of any tasting notes, though presumably it will be bottled soon, if it’s not already in bottle.

BdM seems to have doubled in anticipation already.

People were speculating that the price of Corton would shoot up when they started producing a bottling from there.

Thought you were referring to this drc corton being poured by Charlie Fu the other day!
E6AE037C-CAF1-447C-BA43-C727AB293F5D.jpeg

You can see which plots are which in Laurent Gotti’s new map, which you can see a snap of on Bill Nanson’s website here: https://i2.wp.com/www.burgundy-report.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/corton-and-charlemagne-Laurent-Gotti.jpg?ssl=1

Last time I had a look, it seemed as if the parcel nearest Coche-Dury had been replanted recently. But we will learn more when the inaugural vintage is released!

1 Like

Bonneau du Martray has been organic and biodynamic certified for almost a decade…

I just picked up a (real!) copy of the map last week - rather than in Athenaeum in Beaune, you can also buy it in Chablis Wine Not - a good addition with the Laurent Tribut to my takeaway evening meal… :wink:

I did ask at the domaine in November if it would be possible to taste the CC, but Bertrand said that as it was the first vintage they were taking lots of care and that it wouldn’t be possible to taste.

But if you don’t ask…

[Edit] - proper spelling of Athenaeum :slight_smile:

Where? My allocation price on the 19 is $930 which is only up from $735 for the 17. and I think $800 for the 18 but I didn’t buy.

What’s a good over/under on the US price for this? I am going to say $1,750

Retail?

Way, way over

Retail.

I do not dabble in this market at all. I was just having fun trying to guess an astronomical price.

Probably higher price than LT, but lower than Monty. There’s going to be quite a bit of it typically based on the ha size - 2k+ cases.

So you put it at 5-6?

In the secondary market, maybe. As far as standard retail markup it really depends on where they want to place it in the lineup. Maybe they place it under LT closer to RSV and Rich.

since 14 release prices have rocketed for BdM CC. After it sold. We aren’t talking Corton—talking Corton Charlie.

Given your release pricing ladder (above Rich below LT) it would put your view where I am: $2k

1 Like