When you Drink a Familiar Wine after a Long Separation

Every year, starting January 2, Jonathan and I go dry for at least 2 months, with maybe one or two planned treat days. This year, we took it through March and are still not drinking much during the week. Under normal circumstances, we drink a bottle of Brana Harri Gorri rose every week at least - 59 bottles last year, some shared with friends and family. It goes with so many meals we love, and is consistently delicious and satisfying, day after day, year after year, bottle after bottle. I suspect we love this wine more than it truly deserves, though it deserves a lot.

But this year, we haven’t had a single bottle until tonight.

I started this thread to share the emotional impact of returning to a beloved wine after a few months away. It’s akin to a great conversation with a dear friend after not seeing each other for too long. Every sip was special. The bottle was no better than any other I’ve had - no worse either - but it was elevated to another level through separation and reacquaintance.

This story, to me, my friends, is the only reason one might need for buying a quantity of lovely, inexpensive wines you adore. We get 5-6 cases of this a year and have never regretted it. One lone leftover bottle of 2009 went in tonight’s sauce for mussels.

Treat your beloved wines like good friends. Talk to them often.

19 Likes

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing Sarah

There really is something deeply personal about drinking those beloved frequent bottles.

I buy about 3-4 cases of Trimbach Gewurztraminer to have around for my mom as that’s one of her favourite wine and varietals. Comes in handy in coaxing her into a night of convivial family wine drinking when she’s on the fence. It’s tough not to smell a Gewurztraminer and think of her and the rest of the family. It’s in part the wine of my childhood

Sounds like it could be story of reuniting with an old lover

Sandrone Le Vigna 1997. I am down to my last few bottles, and hoarding them, so when I do open one, it makes it a special occasion.

It is not a wine that I would normally expect to love. Sandrone is considered a modernist; I think he is somewhere near the middle of the continuum, and 1997 is thought of as overly rich and opulent. Generally his flagship is the Cannubi Boschis; this is a careful blend of nearby vineyards. In 1997 , I found greatness, a far more beautiful wine than the Cannubi. It is classic Barolo with precise, defined deep layers of flavor, a controlled opulence and a beautiful finish.

What a lovely and thoughtful story. I too have similar relationships with some Roses, mostly from WA state – Rotie, DeLille, and Virage 2016.

I also find that when I don’t drink for even a few days, much less a few weeks, the first sip of wine can capture echoes of that transformative experience that I think attracts many of us to this passion. It is why I shy away from blockbuster tastings – they have their place, and can be very educational, but they do not provide the contemplative enjoyment that is really what drives my interest in good wine.

Great post and story. Sometimes breaks are great for the palate, as well as perspective!

Thank you Sarah. What a wonderful post.

Or young one.

Beautifully put, Sarah; I feel this way about a rose as well - Eric Kent Rose. It, besides being delicious, is familiar and comforting to me whenever I open a bottle.

Reading this was such a treat. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Great story Sarah! I think this way about wine in general if I go a stretch without having a glass, maybe we are just not drinking or I go on an G&T kick but returning to glass of wine is always magical. Certain regions can be like that to. Trying different wines from different regions, some can get lost in the shuffle. I “discovered” OR Pinot a few years back and then for various reasons went a stretch without having much. Returning to it was just fantastic and reminded me how much I love the wines, and especially certain producers.

off topic but Jerry Hey and I visited Brana years ago. They make ageworthy reds and whites. Didn’t know about this wine. Hard to find much Brana. Thanks for the thread. Lovely sentiment magnified by the fact that I’ve had wine only once past 40 days due to diet. I want to reacquaint with my good friend Ramonet Batard.

I always liked the idea of visiting the same bottle (loved ones) often.
But for the last 10 years of my drinking, I rarely visit the same bottle of wine (same vintage) more than 3 times. It is probably just one way my personality plays out, lack of focus and persistence

May I point out that Sarah mentioned wine as being like a good friend, yet then someone made a comparison to wine being like a lover. This is the same on the recent Nebbiolo thread, where Nebbiolo is contrasted to Pinot Noir as being two different types of girlfriends (one that is more easygoing and one for whom it is worth suffering). It is perhaps superfluous to mention that these post are always made by men. (Of course, I realize most posters on the board are men, so that could be simple probability, but I doubt it).

Wine for me can give me many things including companionship. I understand how wine can remind one of friendship. I don’t understand the focus on wine as analogous to sexual relationships that more than occasionally comes up in these threads. What gives? (And before someone asks, yes I am married and I have had both types of relationships, the easygoing and the kind that, at least at the time, I thought it was worth suffering for).

1 Like

A lover doesn’t have to be sexual. It could be agape, as it could be ascetical. That being said, certain wine feels either more feminine or masculine to me. Think of that trip you had years ago along some distant shore with memories associated with it. Is that love, or merely brain-cells and synapses making connection? You can describe by emotion or spell out with scientific rigor.

Indeed. After such a story, I looked with no success. Who’s the importer?

i’ve emailed Brana in French and gotten nowhere. They seem to think their importer does a great job yet they don’t. I got some once from Fass, a one time offer. Someone needs to take charge and import them properly.

Long ago, here’s an example:

Bon jour—il y a longtemps je vous ai Ă©crit sur la difficultĂ© d’obtenir vos vins en Californie. Le mĂȘme ProblĂšme existe encore. Votre distributeur ne vends pas les vins ici. C’est n’ai pas possible de changer la situation? Ici, il y a beaucoup qui aime Domaine Brana . . . merci
Cordialement, Alan Weinberg

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2013, at 2:55 AM, martine.brana@brana.fr wrote:

Bonjour Monsieur Weinberg,

Je vous remercie de vos diffĂ©rents mails. Croyez bien que je rĂ©alise vraiment le problĂ©me. J’étais souvent en dĂ©placements ces derniers temps, c’est la raison pour laquelle j’ai tardĂ© Ă  vous rĂ©pondre.

Le mardi 30 juillet nous recevons notre importateur, Monsieur Edward Addiss et nous lui exposerons la situation. Nous vous ferons, aprÚs sa visite chez nous un compte rendu de notre échange et répondrons à votre question.

Avec nos excuses,

Bien cordialement,
Martine Brana.

MAISON BRANA
3 bis, Avenue du JaĂŻ-AlaĂŻ
64220 SAINT JEAN PIED DE PORT
0033(0)559 370 044
0033(0)613 215 588
www.brana.fr

What a lovely story, I also love your style of writing, Sarah!

1 Like

Wine Traditions, in Falls Church. Not that much has ever come in, and the last couple of vintages none at all has come to the US.

1 Like

I also had a ‘wine reunion’ yesterday after not drinking much wine in the first quarter of the year. For me, it was the 2014 Roilette Fleurie (not Tardive). Perfect match with lamb burgers, onions, and peppers grilled over charcoal. Needed some time to open – not a pop and pour wine.