TN: 2020 Turley Cinsault Bechthold Vineyard (USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi)

Had something happen tonight that I’ve never seen with a young wine. I screwed my waiters corkscrew into the cork and just when I was about to stop turning it the cork instead started spinning in the neck of the bottle. I twisted and tugged up and out came the cork. Lately I’ve been chipping the edge of bottles prying tight corks out of bottles and this one slipped right out with just the worm. [wow.gif]

• 2020 Turley Cinsault Bechthold Vineyard - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (4/15/2021)
    Pours a shade darker than the ‘19 but can still read the newspaper through the wine/glass. Rose petals and currants on the nose, pomegranate and black tea greet the palate. A hint of maceration, nice freshness, medium weight, mouthwatering finish. Very enjoyable. 12.5%abv

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Great note - I will need to get my hands on a bottle. What did you pay for this? Any whole cluster mentioned - sounds like there might be some. And wondering if they bled the juice to concentrate this to give it greater color? Also, the alcohol on their Bechtold tends to be lower than many others that I’ve seen out there, with many nearing 14%.

I dig Cinsault and think it is an underappreciated variety indeed. I know that there about a half dozen folks using fruit from the Bechtold Vineyard, certainly a unicorn site with vines planted in 1885 or so IIRC. Tablas Creek has one coming out shortly and I know that Thatcher makes a beautiful one from Paso as well.

There is not much of it grown here in SB County, but there are pockets - I was able to secure a 1 acre block in the Zaca Mesa Vineyard - originally own-rooted cabernet planted in 1975 or so, and grafted over to Cinsault in 1995 or so. California sprawl farming - old school indeed. Psyched to see what I can do with this fruit moving forward.

Hoping to see more Cinsault releases moving forward.

Cheers.

1 Like

The early release was this week but I’m not in that wave so I haven’t read the Turley notes on it. I think it’s $22 based on CT avg.

Planted in 1885, this Cinsault vineyard is certainly the oldest of its kind in the United States, and perhaps even the oldest Cinsault in the world! A light-bodied red grape, Cinsault (pronounced SAHN-so) is usually found in the south of France as a component of Châteauneuf-du-Pape in the Rhône Valley, or consumed as rosé in Provence. The Bechthold Vineyard vines are gnarly, head-trained, and dry-farmed in deep, sandy soils. They’re also ungrafted, meaning they remain on their original vitis vinifera roots that were first planted 136 years ago, a phenomenon nearly impossible to replicate today. The wine is light-bodied with fresh, high acidity, almost akin to a Gamay or a very light Pinot Noir. It’s fermented using only natural yeasts and aged in 100% used French oak.

An engaging nose of both red and dark fruits, including ripe red plum, crisp red apple, and pomegranate, with a touch of palo santo. On the palate, the wine shows the kind of depth and complexity that can only come from truly ancient vines, coupled with a pleasurable bright zip, owing to the primarily whole-cluster fermentation. Excellent as an aperitif alongside charcuterie, or for that person who insists on drinking red wine with their fish! We recommend serving this wine lightly chilled, around 50-60°F, slightly colder than cellar temperature. If you prefer more body, this wine will take on weight with time in the bottle.

Here is the note from the Turley release, and yes it’s $22

The wine was bottled very recently. Perhaps that’s why the seal wasn’t as secure as most? Very pretty wine. Almost a rose on steroids!!! $22 for the current release.

I look forward to trying this as well as the Sleeper Ranch Barbera.
When it comes to Italian varieties I’m generally not a fan of the CA equivalents, but the 2019 Barbera was extremely good with lifted fruits and lively acidity on the palate. A must buy for those who like Barbera.

[Edit: as noted in posts below, I got my cinsaults and carignanes confused. This was actually a Sandlands Carignane I just had. Oops.]

I just had a bottle of 2015 Sandlands Cinsault (California - I think the sources were from Lodi and Contra Costa) over the last two nights. Somewhat relevant because it’s the same winemaker?

Anyway, the Cinsaults had been my less favorite of the Sandlands portfolio, and I somewhat had a “let’s get this out of the cabinet” mindset opening the bottle, but damn, it was a really good one. All the things I like about Sandlands – fresh, crunchy, nice balance of fruit, herbal and mineral notes, not tiring at all.

13.4% alcohol, which is actually high for Sandlands.

Larry,

The Cinsault is 100% whole cluster and no saignee (that’s something we never do, actually).

You’re also not wrong about our alchohol compared to others who are sourcing from Bechthold. We’re usually the first to pick.

Cheers,

Mike

1 Like

Sandlands did not release a Cinsault (also from Bechthold, I think) until 2018. Your bottle was probably Carignane. I’ve also not been so fond of those. But that’s the grape, not the winemaking or growing.

The Bechthold Cinsault from Birichino is quite nice as well, and in the same lane as the Turley.

Oops, I totally boned that. Thanks for correcting me. I should go into the Wine Geek Penalty Box for a few days.

Or maybe this former A’s pitcher can help me learn the difference:

I really like the Bechtold Cinsault from Fields Family Wines. Ryan makes a good one

Cool wine. I only had it once but it’s one of their more interesting ones IMO. Larry’s too!

I’ve been to the vineyard and gave pictures. I’ll dig them up.

They’re every interesting, mini zin head trained.