Our annual Maui excursion with Champagne

Another couple has invited us to join them Maui annually for years. Last year, our March visit was shortened when the world tried to end. This is our makeup visit. We arrived this morning, with the standard TSA inspection label in the wine suitcase.
Our friends provide the housing, so I pull out the stops packing.
TN’s to follow.

Cheers,
Warren
99CEF904-854C-44B3-B01A-EADF65C3A395.jpeg

2 Likes

Pretty comprehensive lineup you have there

1 Like

First up: Dethune Rosè

• NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (4/16/2021)
    October 2018 Disgorgement. Better than ever. Gorgeous salmon pink color. Pinot dense; strawberry and cherry, great texture. I love this wine.
    C79280AC-E7EE-472E-8E08-9B13BF3F3773.jpeg
    1E5BEBA7-A5BA-49AC-8AC0-BD899C789445.jpeg
    BB1568B4-52D5-49F9-BE86-B3C484DC8C26.jpeg
1 Like

Nice 13 bottle case, A baker’s dozen! Enjoy.

2 Likes

Looks awesome. Was back in Maui in 17 after graduating college. Such a beautiful area!

• NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Cuvée Rubis - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (4/17/2021)
    December 2016 disgorgement. This was more subtle than the Dethune from earlier in the evening. Delicious with poke and a Maui interpretation of bouillabaisse. Red berries, blood orange, with that subtle savory brown spice I sometimes find in this wine.
    859DE840-6CB4-43B4-8A56-82AC492B854E.jpeg
    C5E50519-A57F-47D1-B8E3-0178D27AAA97.jpeg
3 Likes

Keep 'em coming, and enjoy your time there Warren. I’ve been to Maui once, when I was 9 or so. I still remember so much of that trip.

Maluhia

Mike

2 Likes

Are they allowing corkage in Maui these days?

Last night’s corkage was only $20!

Very nice Warren. Great lineup and the perfect place to enjoy champagne in a thirst provoking climate. Thanks for the photos of the back labels that often offer more info than the front label.

What kind of wine cases did you transport the bottles in and what temperature control was used?

Enjoy your deserved time off. Aloha!

image.jpg

1 Like

Blake

Getting them here is easy. The hardest part is finding wine glasses in Hawaii. I usually bring my own, but didn’t this time. It might detract a little from some of those bottles if we have to drink them out of clunky glasses with thick rims. Such First World problems I’m forced to deal with!!! [rofl.gif]

Cheers,
Warren

1 Like

In December when I was in Maui, our last night was spent watching the sunset with a bottle of Taittinger, eating sushi on the lawn. We could see Jupiter and Saturn in conjunction. The sunsets are special. It’s a memorable, magical place, especially if you can avoid the other tourists :slight_smile:

Hope you have a great trip!

2 Likes

Warren, I usually take my own stems as well, but when I do not, I go to the dining room/bar/lounge area where I am staying and see if they have something decent and if so and OK, ask for them to be taken to my room or carry them myself. I usually end up with a white or red wine glass which I prefer over flutes. I’ve even been loaned stems from wine centric bars and tasting rooms with the caveat of reimbursing for any breakage.
Cheers

Warren, if that’s how you travel we have a guest room at our condo in Portland champagne.gif .

1 Like

deja vu !

champagne.gif

1 Like

Marshall

We were in Portland last weekend! Our daughter lives there temporarily until classes restart at SOU in Ashland. I’ll contact you next time we visit and see if we can meet and share a bottle!

Cheers,
Warren

Our last trip from PDX to Maui (just 2 of us)

2008 Dauvissat Clos
2008 base Selosse VO
2010 Roulot Tessons
2007 Raveneau MdT
2004 PP Chetillons
2008 C-T Alliees
2008 C-T Barres
2012 Prevost Fac-Simile

-mark

1 Like

Shoot I need to go to Maui again. It was so amazing. Miss it

Nice! Great minds drink and travel alike.
MB rarely drinks reds, and our hosts love champagne, especially Rosè. I’ve brought a few of my all-time favorite rosè champagnes. The Vilmart Emotion, Egly-Ouriet Rosè and Billecart Salmon Cuvèe Elisabeth Salmon are breathtaking.

Cheers,
Warren