Enfield Wine Co 2021 Spring Release

Enfield’s Spring release dropped yesterday! Is anyone else ordering?
I joined their mailing list earlier this year based on WB feedback and recommendations while exploring some lower alcohol wines. John was very friendly and engaging welcoming me in and offered some older vintage wines not available on their website based on my preferences.
At this point I’ve only tried their Citrine Chard, so can’t broadly comment on wine quality, but I very much enjoyed the vibrant Citrine at a fabulous QPR. I’ve been looking for Chenins and CA Cab Francs that don’t break the bank. Enfield’s spring release has both of these, including a Jurassic Park Chenin.

Notes from their offer email-

2019 Jurassic Park Chenin Blanc, $30
Santa Ynez - sandy marine limestone, 12.0% Alc. - 1,800 bottles produced - 20 ppm SO2 added.
From the famous X2 Block of Jurassic Park Vineyard, own-rooted Chenin Blanc vines planted in 1978.

The 2019 Chenin is one of the most memorable wines we have produced. It captures the energy and verve of these low yielding old vines, with a rare combination of flavor and acidity. There is no skin contact on the 2019 - it went direct to press and the juice was kept as pristine as possible, with almost no sulfites needed to keep this wine incredibly fresh. It is explosively aromatic, high acid, and fully stimulating on the palate with intensity and drive.

sea salt, peach blossom, ginger, grapefruit pith, driving finish
Drink Now - 2026

2020 Foot Tread Rosé, $26
90% Pinot Noir / 10% Grenache, Carignan, Tempranillo
12.9% Alc. - 660 bottles produced

The 2020 Rosé had a wild ride. Intended to be a 50/50 blend of Pinot and Cab Franc, the Cab Franc was compromised by smoke from the wildfires, and the Pinot produced such a tiny crop that there was barely enough juice to fill a single 500L puncheon. Wine evaporates during fermentation, so to keep the puncheon full it was topped with a small amount of fresh juice every time new grapes arrived at the winery.
Accordingly - the 2020 is 90% pretty, 10% wild. Lacy, playful aromatics and the delicate palate of Pinot Noir are accented by a more rustic savory spice. It is a one of a kind wine that will be impossible to replicate.

watermelon, pink apple skin, Turkish delight, lemon zest, spearmint, sage, long mineral finish
Drink Now - 2023

2019 XB03 Cuveé Lizzie Cabernet Franc, $36
Waterhorse Ridge Vineyard - Fort Ross-Seaview, Sonoma Coast, mixed volcanic soils, 100% whole cluster - 12.9% Alc. - 600 bottles produced

My sister’s favorite wine is a spicy, earthy Loire Valley Cab Franc. A few years back we planted a small block of of Cab Franc out at Waterhorse Ridge, and in 2019 we got the first TINY crop off the vineyard. I decided to honor the first fruit off the baby vines and make a wine dedicated to her.
The 2019 Cuveé Lizzie references the Loire Valley in all the right places. It was fermented 100% whole cluster and spent minimal time in barrel to capture the fresh earth tones. Bright fruit is balanced by an explosion of soft, savory, umami goodness that begs for a picnic and a good cheese board. Your friends will all think it’s “French”!

deep cherry, white pepper, maitake mushrooms, freshly turned earth, pine needles, medium weight lingering finish
Drink Now - 2026

2019 XB04 Stained Glass, $32
California - Deep Sandy Soils. 40% Grenache / 35% Carignan / 25% Tempranillo, 100% Whole Cluster - 13.4% Alc. - 600 bottles produced

I have wanted to make this wine for a few years now. Stained Glass marks our first exploration into the grapes of southern Spain, and the name references the deep sand of Contra Costa and Lodi where these grapes are grown.
The 2019 Stained Glass is a wine of of softness, juiciness and richness of fruit. Garnacha is the driver here, partnered with its Priorat compatriot Carińena and a touch of Tempranillo. It is energetic, boisterous and red fruited in the glass, saturated in color and flavor, yet transparent. The power of fruit framed crisply by sandy soils.

raspberry tea, rose petal, cocoa dust, graphite, soft tannins and a mouth coating finish
Drink Now - 2026

Does anyone have experience drinking the Jurassic Park Chenins?
I went out on a limb and ordered a full allocation of the JP Chenin and Lizzie CF (I’ve a major soft spot for Chinon). Also picked up bottles of the other 2 to sample.

2 Likes

I did order a few of the Chenins and the Cab Francs. Love Enfield in general.

I’ve been on this list since Doug Wilder tipped me off to it. Started with the 2010 Syrah. I am not a Chenin drinker, so can’t comment on that, but everything John does is really interesting and for my palate delicious. I’m probably picking up the Rose, Cab Franc and Grenache blend.

I peeked in on their website, the Cab Franc might be sold out already!

edit I made a mistake, it’s still available.

Like Tom - I signed up for this list on the last release and was offered some older vintage wines. I have yet to sample but tend to like wines David B enjoys so i went for 3 of each as it sounds like these will be crushable. Plan to take them to Northern MI this summer for some beach fun. Really need to get to my offsite storage and find the case shipped earlier this year - really want to try the Sonoma Coast Cab! BTW i still had a nice allocation of Cab Franc available.

Anything these guys produce is well worth the effort to procure. I adore their chenin blanc…and last year kicked myself in the ass for only buying a single bottle of the foot-trod rose. I stocked up on rose and white…time to start thinking about those lazy, hazy days of summer. Patio wines will be needed at both the Chicago and Michigan homes.

I bought a six pack of the Rose, pretty much out of room right now, but can always use some Rose for spring and summer!

Agree with Bill, Steve & Chris. One of the reasons I picked these up was thinking about outside, summer drinking. Over the last year we’ve spent more time drinking outside with friends than pre-covid, so I think that subconsciously factored into my decision making.
Anything you gotta do to make it through…

I went long on the Chenin Blanc. We need Summer whites.

I bought a couple rosés, but less than usual after buying more Bedrock, Bucklin, and Scherrer rosé than I typically do.

Also bought 3 of the Grenache, as I was intrigued by the description. I have to admit that I had to think about it, though, that I really disliked the last “Experiment” wine I bought from Enfield - a Merlot - which was the first time I didn’t like one of John’s wines.

I liked that Merlot experiment,

I tried to like it, three seperate times. I do enjoy Merlot, but thought that one never came together right. Each bottle ended up either going into sauce or down the drain.

Thanks All! Let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry the merlot didn’t work for you Andrew. Any chance you opened them all young? It did take longer to come around than I was expecting.

The Stained Glass is an XB because of the blend, being more “Priorat” based then “Rioja” based. I hope you enjoy it.

Cab Franc is still available - perhaps you used up your allocating Tom? But if anyone has any issues ordering, just let me know.

Rose will sell out first because we have so little of it - due to dumping the Cab Franc.

Had it in January 2020, October 2020, and about 6-7 weeks ago.

Not a big deal, as there’s no guarantee I’m going to like everything. Just expected to like that, as I am a fan of Merlot and have liked the other Enfield wines I’ve had.

1 Like

I think that was it, I ordered my full compliment so I bet it disappeared for me only.