From the Pandemic to Prosecco: Why Champagne Sales Are Plummeting

An interesting read especially when a bubbly from the UK, Nyetimber, outshines a Billecart-Salmon in a blind tasting.

Strangely, I have been finding RR’s wine related articles to be much better than I would have expected.

I’m unsympathetic to Champagne AOC’s problems.

1 Like

Champagne Inc is a victim of its own success, decades of successfully branding itself as the go-to Special Occasion Beverage for Celebrations and Events to be deployed at weddings, anniversaries, holidays, and above all New Years. That’s made them a lot of money, but it’s meant, for most people, Champagne really isn’t on the radar for anything else. Put Salon, Krug, the tete de cuvee’s aside. Most people who reach for, say, $30-60 Chards, Pinots, etc. at the wine shop - or the supermarket - don’t even think about grabbing a bottle of Champagne at the same price point. I suppose the credit and the blame for that goes to the big houses with $$$$ advertising budgets.

I love Champagne. There really is nothing else like it in the world, even the mass produced stuff, like Moet Imperial or NV Veuve, is pretty good. It’s amazingly versatile; it goes with just about anything and everything.

I’m no marketing exec. I just hope Champagne Inc figures out how to escape their gilded cage. Otherwise, it seems their problems will only get worse. Then they’ll go and do something really stupid like dump the bubbles and convert to still wine - oh wait, that might already be happening (no disrespect to anyone here who likes still wine from Champagne!).
new-here.gif
new-here.gif

1 Like