And while I'm at it: Nebbiolo is a pain in the a$$

Yup.

best grape on the planet, not conducive to my lifestyle. Needs too much preparation, not conducive to 4PM menu decisions for dinner.

I need to plan my Barolo, and even my Barbaresco consumption. Stand up the bottle, double decant it when the rooster crows, and then, when you think you’re out, it draws you back in. Out comes the cel, to jot down more notes because the wine is ever evolving, ever improving.

Sometimes I just want to go grab a bottle or two, open them, drink the, and enjoy them. So I’m drinking more Pinot.

Pinot is like that girl you’re friends with. Nebbiolo is that girlfriend. Demanding, worth it, but boy do I have to pay a lot of attention.

I’ve seen Cats on Broadway 3 times. I hated it the first time I saw it. I saw it 2 more times for those girlfriends.

That’s what I’m talking about.

I’m getting too old for this.

8 Likes

Dump the mediocre / demanding girlfriend.
And stop friend-zoning the life changing / awesome one.

1 Like

[cheers.gif]

That’s when a sporty energetic off on the go Langhe Nebbiolo comes in handy!

2 Likes

Hahaha. Greg’s on a roll. Potato roll at that.

Awesome post. I get it. Immediate or complex. Like the beautiful woman one must throw ones wallet at. Always liked the ‘movie at home’ type myself but Terms of Endearment can get old real quick!
Maybe less impetuous and more planning are in order. Backup too!

1 Like

Yep. Or Valtellina. No pressure.

3 Likes

Drinking a wine like the crappy Pinots that we tried last night would very much be like watching Cats! Even once. I’ve never been inclined that way and I would seriously question any kind of friendship where that was going to be part of it.

Don’t blame it on the wine. It’s not the wine’s fault.

1 Like

Greg, I have faith that somehow you’ll figure it out.
Cheers!

I had the good fortune to take a trip to Torino/Piemonte with one of my kids about two years ago.
We went to lots of amazing restaurants, and ordered off the list. Not the “carte de vini riserva.”
We ordered from the regular list of wines - which in most cases were recent releases.
We picked lots of Barbaresco wines, a couple of Barolo wines, and one or two “Langhe” appellation releases. Yes, the wines were young. Showed some tannins. But were still fun and enjoyable to drink. Had a great time. We enjoyed the moment.
I know that sometimes with wines I have purchased and stored, I strive for the 'perfect" moment; the perfect food pairing.
My lesson learned: sometimes, just open the bottle! Enjoy it for what it gives at that moment.

Have you ever been married? Think retsina, except once a week/month, it tastes really good. So stop wining.

Married to Nebbiolo with Burgundy as a mistress? Sounds about right.

[stirthepothal.gif]

You should switch to something easier. Like Coulee de Serrant.

Hey Greg, I switched from PN to Barolo a year ago. Frustrating at times, yes, but then there is Rosso di Montalcino or Etna Rosso, which I find more suitable for dinner than PN these days.

Sounds like you may be rushing your foreplay [wink.gif]

2 Likes

As someone who trendy youngsters might refer to as a ‘volcel’, every wine is my friend, and if they’re awkward/weird, I’ll just have to learn to respect their space!

I know a guy in Portland who likes old Nebbiolo. [cheers.gif]

Greg,
I feel your pain. They’re definitely the most high maintenance wines, but worth it, like Maryland blue crab, uni, soufflé, béarnaise, cassoulet. I even bought an antique decanting stand just for my old nebbiolos.
Cheers, and don’t shake up that sediment,
Warren
IMG_9409.jpeg

1 Like

Yep, plenty of fun, young drinking Nebs. Idlewild is one of the best of that ilk from CA.

2016 Villadoria ‘Bricco Magno’ Nebbiolo [Langhe] Agglomerated cork. Creosote on the nose, then cranberry/pomegranate on the palate. There is tannin in this lighter bodied DOC red still, and lots of crunchy style acidity. For my palate, it feels like there are citrus zests in here somewhere. The color feels like a pale red to me, without any lightening. A very traditional producer, from what I understand, and even though it gets oak aging, those must be older barrels, since there isn’t any woody flavors here. I think this wine would appeal most to those who really enjoy Barolo, but can’t afford to have it as the daily drinker. For drinkers who enjoy Piedemontese varietals less frequently/thoroughly, perhaps sticking to the grander DOCG is safer. (To wit: I probably enjoy smaller Bordeaux / petit chateaux / satellites more than most, since that zone is the main feedstock for my powerplant). In my ledger, I’ll give this a B. It should keep some more years, given how it was a touch better on day #2. The label specifies 13.5% abv, but it feels more nimble than that figure.