TN: 2000 Clos René (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

• 2000 Clos René - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/17/2021)
    An assessment of this wine requires some very deep thinking. I bought this a a future back in the summer of 2002. The 2000 vintage was all the rage; we were getting back into wine buying after an absence caused by the need to raise two sons; RMP rated this as 90+ from barrel; and I was able to buy six bottles at under $30 each. Perhaps even under $20. Dutifully cellared and opened today with some Morgan Ranch Wagyu bought on Berserkerday. 90 minute decant then followed for 4 hours. Color is dark with no sign of age and the cork was soaked at most 1/4 of an inch.

This is a good wine, but not what I had hoped for after almost 20 years in my cellar. Dark red brooding fruit, subdued nose with a touch of violet, a slight coffee component on the palate, still some tannic astringency if you slosh it around in your mouth. The classic Bordeaux undercurrent that approached Bordeaux bandaid, but doesn’t get there, which is a good thing. I can’t find anything about the exact blend, but I would guess that balance between merlot and cabernet franc tips towards the later because the wine lacks the velvety texture and smoothness of Pomerol merlot. As I said, a good wine, but I had hoped for more. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

It’s been a few years but I have good notes on the 1970 and 1989, side by side.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6869&p=55878

I rarely see this estate, either for sale or at - infrequently attended - tastings.

I had the 05 a couple months back and my notes and feelings on it were very similar.

I liked this 2000 Clos Rene a wee bit more when I had it last year.